Acan health

Slything

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on these acans. They have flipped back and forth from happy to this state.

Does this look like a situation of too much light? Should I relocate them or just leave them be for awhile? Please read below for context on lighting situation.

This tank is an upgrade so stability has been less than ideal.. Recently I have added 2 reefbrite XHO strips as well two MP40s so there have been adjustments in both lighting and flow.

I have a feeling this was due to lighting as I under estimated the power the reefbrites would have and that rock was pushing 200-250 par.

I have begun an acclimation period and toned the reefbrites down a bit so their peak brightness should be around 160.

Parameters

20231008_141337.jpg 20231008_141330.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The aiptasia isn't why they aren't opening, but that is something that you should address sooner than later. To answer your question, I believe that lighting is your issue. I keep acans in very low light (<50 par) and they are always fat and happy with awesome color.

Upvote 0

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acans like sand beds. Unfortunately they prefer being a rock flower sitting on the beaches of ur reef tank floor. I would also put them on the very front of a cave or even the sides of ur rock work

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 160 peak par is too high especially if they were recently shocked. Get them on the sandbed with par below 90.

Upvote 0

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in lower light, I also tried to start mine in brighter areas, some do well as others aren’t puffy until I moved them. Also feed your tank, the organic matter from feeding will keep the corals feeders out all day which will make them grow faster
This acan at LFS was a lot less puffy, I bought it put it in my tank it’s it’s double the size, 3 polyps here
They like to be feed alot
IMG_4942.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that acans are very hardy and easily able to adapt to higher light. Here is mine, on the sand bed in the center under metal hallides and 2 OR3 bars, I don't feed it. It started as just one single polyp 3.5 years ago.

I still feel like there is info missing here. How long have you had the coral? Where is it positioned now? Its the polyps on the side that are completely dead, when did you remove the aptasia? How long a period did it degrade? Light burn will have immediate affect.........

maybe its no one thing bothering the coral, but combo of many things, as mentioned there have been a lot of changes to the tank lately...

1696851534954.png
1696851640744.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Slything

Slything

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that acans are very hardy and easily able to adapt to higher light. Here is mine, on the sand bed in the center under metal hallides and 2 OR3 bars, I don't feed it. It started as just one single polyp 3.5 years ago.

I still feel like there is info missing here. How long have you had the coral? Where is it positioned now? Its the polyps on the side that are completely dead, when did you remove the aptasia? How long a period did it degrade? Light burn will have immediate affect.........

maybe its no one thing bothering the coral, but combo of many things, as mentioned there have been a lot of changes to the tank lately...

1696851534954.png
1696851640744.png
That aptasia was removed yesterday but it is far to small to touch he polyps so non factor. The corals are positioned in a spot with 160 par peaks as mentioned. No Polyps have died only receded what you see is what's left from when they were fragged. I am sure it is a variety of factors here was just looking for some opinions on the lighting. I decided to relocate them to various cave entrances where they will receive more indirect light.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back