Acan lord closing

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

My acan lords have never opened to their full potential, and I have lost many so far through the life course of my tank. But mysteriously, some thrive… I have had this tank running for around 8-9 months now. My water parameters are very acceptable— I will post them down below. I have a 29 gallon display, with a Fluval Marine 3.0 24-36 inch light (not sure of exact par in my tank). The acans sit on the sand bed, and I have low flow going over them. As soon as I put them in my tank, over the next day or two they start closing up and receding—sometimes a polyp will die and I can see skeleton on some parts of them.

* I currently am experiencing high nitrates, but my acans exhibited this behavior beforehand.

Everything else in my tank is doing amazing for the most part. My zoas never skip a beat, mushrooms are incredible, leather tree is happy as could be. It just seems to be the acans… I have tried playing around with the lighting slowly, but to no avail.

IMG_2780.png IMG_2781.png IMG_2784.jpeg IMG_2785.jpeg IMG_2783.jpeg IMG_2786.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does phosphate always say 0? Why is nitrate always 50 and never change, thats weird? what test kits are you using?

This one is mine, started as a single polyp. Its under medium light and medium flow.

1694273349232.png

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does phosphate always say 0? Why is nitrate always 50 and never change, thats weird? what test kits are you using?

This one is mine, started as a single polyp. Its under medium light and medium flow.

1694273349232.png
your acan looks amazing… salifert test kit for nitrates, api for phosphate, and Hanna checkers for all the rest.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are notoriously unreliable. Salifert is reliable. I would get a Salifert test kit for phosphate if you can. Do you have a LFS that can test your water and doesn’t use API?

If phosphates really are 0 then not only would it kill off all your coral but it would kill off your good bacteria. Then you’d have dinos in short order.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, all

My acan lords have never opened to their full potential, and I have lost many so far through the life course of my tank. But mysteriously, some thrive… I have had this tank running for around 8-9 months now. My water parameters are very acceptable— I will post them down below. I have a 29 gallon display, with a Fluval Marine 3.0 24-36 inch light (not sure of exact par in my tank). The acans sit on the sand bed, and I have low flow going over them. As soon as I put them in my tank, over the next day or two they start closing up and receding—sometimes a polyp will die and I can see skeleton on some parts of them.

* I currently am experiencing high nitrates, but my acans exhibited this behavior beforehand.

Everything else in my tank is doing amazing for the most part. My zoas never skip a beat, mushrooms are incredible, leather tree is happy as could be. It just seems to be the acans… I have tried playing around with the lighting slowly, but to no avail.

IMG_2780.png IMG_2781.png IMG_2784.jpeg IMG_2785.jpeg IMG_2783.jpeg IMG_2786.jpeg
nutrients are low, while they are not picky about location, sand often can irritate them, need to raise po4, feed them mysis shrimp at least 2x a week and moderate light and water flow

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutrients are low, while they are not picky about location, sand often can irritate them, need to raise po4, feed them mysis shrimp at least 2x a week and moderate light and water flow
What’s the best way to feed Acans without the other fish stealing it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What’s the best way to feed Acans without the other fish stealing it?
Place a cut off top of soda bottle over coral and apply food through the opening for coral

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back