Acan Lords vs Micro Lords?

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the compatibility of acan lords and micro lords. I know some reclassifications happened recently.

When they were shown on this live auction the size was the same, but I don’t want to put them all together and have some warfare going on. My build is not big enough to have disagreements between cousins. thanks in advanced! #reefsquad?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the compatibility of acan lords and micro lords. I know some reclassifications happened recently.

When they were shown on this live auction the size was the same, but I don’t want to put them all together and have some warfare going on. My build is not big enough to have disagreements between cousins. thanks in advanced! #reefsquad?
Acan lords and micro lords are the same coral; both are classified as Micromussa lordhowensis. Acanthastrea lordhowensis is an older name that is no longer accepted within the scientific community based on genetic evidence.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan lords and micro lords are the same coral; both are classified as Micromussa lordhowensis. Acanthastrea lordhowensis is an older name that is no longer accepted within the scientific community based on genetic evidence.
Okay awesome! I just wanted to make sure no one’s gonna *** someone else up in the tank LOL

Upvote 0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, 'Acan lords' (formerly Acanthastrea lordhowensis) are now Micromussa lordhowensis.

However, 'Micro lords' (or 'Micro acans') have not had a name change and are still Micromussa amakusensis.

Upvote 0

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, 'Acan lords' (formerly Acanthastrea lordhowensis) are now Micromussa lordhowensis.

However, 'Micro lords' (or 'Micro acans') have not had a name change and are still Micromussa amakusensis.
Micro lords are actually just M. lordhowensis. M. amakusensis are just called Micromussa by the hobby.

Upvote 0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro lords are actually just M. lordhowensis. M. amakusensis are just called Micromussa by the hobby.

They are now that 'Lords' are in the Micromussa genus.

But in the past M. amukusensis were referred to as 'Micro Lords' (or 'Mini Lords'), at least by some.

Anyway, this highlights the problem in relying on common names.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are now that 'Lords' are in the Micromussa genus.

But in the past M. amukusensis were referred to as 'Micro Lords' (or 'Mini Lords'), at least by some.

Anyway, this highlights the problem in relying on common names.
I just wanted to know if they fight, unfortunately a lot of sellers still use the common names. It does make it harder. I’m glad R2R is so knowledgeable though

Upvote 0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to know if they fight, unfortunately a lot of sellers still use the common names. It does make it harder. I’m glad R2R is so knowledgeable though

While I have never kept them together, the general consensus is that they 'get along with each other'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have never kept them together, the general consensus is that they 'get along with each other'.
I’m thinking it’s size of each one that is what people are basing the name off of. The “acans lords” are much larger than the “micro lords” I bought lol

Upvote 0

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m thinking it’s size of each one that is what people are basing the name off of. The “acans lords” are much larger than the “micro lords” I bought lol
Much much larger. I have two m. Amakusensis and they are a quarter of the size of my larger lordhowensis. The two are next to each other on the frag rack. I was always informed that amakusensis will sting lordhowensis so I keep them separate.

IMG_20230120_161138.jpg

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back