Acan Placement

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you y'all have your Acans in your aquarium? I am trying to find a good spot for mine. I am just not sure... or if it might be too close to certain corals? Can y'all post some photos of yours so I can see! I would love to see some tank pictures please! :smiling-face-with-halo:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you y'all have your Acans in your aquarium? I am trying to find a good spot for mine. I am just not sure... or if it might be too close to certain corals? Can y'all post some photos of yours so I can see! I would love to see some tank pictures please! :smiling-face-with-halo:
Sandbed

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an acan garden on the bottom left beneath a duncan and a candy cane back in the day. Also had a couple near a hammer on the right with no noticable aggression. Good luck, this is a fun part of the hobby
1669838260371.jpeg

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an acan garden on the bottom left beneath a duncan and a candy cane back in the day. Also had a couple near a hammer on the right with no noticable aggression. Good luck, this is a fun part of the hobby
1669838260371.jpeg
Wow I love the set up! The Duncan was okay above them?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I have mine now. But I wanted to move it. Just wasn’t sure if there were certain corals it couldn’t be close to. I was going to just have it be it’s own island in the front but it would be close to a mushroom island I have.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, had to hit it with a metal pipe every now and then to get it to slow down its growth. BTW, I've read many times that acans are/can be aggressive, but have never witnessed it.
Yes I read the same! That’s why I started the thread. I heard they can be nasty. I heard chalices are nasty too? I have one. I loved the neon orange. I don’t know why I got it lol I just loved the color and now I’m just like…where do I put it

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don’t have just a picture of my acan and also in the picture I was trying out different lenses . The acan is upper right about midway up my rock.
12CB20EF-B2DB-4E04-800D-44ED85DB8AA7.jpeg
I love how you have the candy canes. I was thinking of putting mine on the side-ish like that. I need to take it off the platform it’s glued too first and then attach it to a spot but I’m just right now putting it in areas to see which spot it likes best and then I’ll glue it. If some get close to the mushroom you have to the left is that okay? And I noticed your acan is super close to the candy cane. No trouble?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how you have the candy canes. I was thinking of putting mine on the side-ish like that. I need to take it off the platform it’s glued too first and then attach it to a spot but I’m just right now putting it in areas to see which spot it likes best and then I’ll glue it. If some get close to the mushroom you have to the left is that okay? And I noticed your acan is super close to the candy cane. No trouble?
That is a little older pic the green one has 4 heads now and the pin stripe has 5. I actually moved the pinstripe to the left because the acan was irritating it. The acan has gone from four heads to 9 so I might have to move it again. In my experience the ricordea mushroom should be fine. In all my years with candy canes I never had a problem with them causing problems for the corals around them.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the frag rack lol
C692164F-381C-49FA-BAFE-63CE3583F3E9.jpeg
dang lol I have a corner frag rack. Looking to get some rock jo
That is a little older pic the green one has 4 heads now and the pin stripe has 5. I actually moved the pinstripe to the left because the acan was irritating it. The acan has gone from four heads to 9 so I might have to move it again. In my experience the ricordea mushroom should be fine. In all my years with candy canes I never had a problem with them causing problems for the corals around them.
okay good to know! I haven’t picked a spot yet for the candy cane cause I wanted to see on here if it was okay by certain corals.

What about a hammer? My hammer isn’t doing the best. I mean it’s not dying but it’s not as great as I’d like it to be doing. I’m having a hard time with those, alwaysssss. The frogspawn and the hammer are tough for me. My parameters are just fine.

I use the corallife light. I run 30% whites and 70% blues. It’s in medium flow and medium light.

TEMPERATURE 79
IODINE: 0.05 ppm
MAGNESIUM: 1 ppm
CALCIUM: 420 ppm
ALKALINITY: 9.2 dkh
SALINITY: 1.025
PHOSPHATE: 0.2 ppm

NITRATE: 10 ppm
PH: 8.3

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang lol I have a corner frag rack. Looking to get some rock jo

okay good to know! I haven’t picked a spot yet for the candy cane cause I wanted to see on here if it was okay by certain corals.

What about a hammer? My hammer isn’t doing the best. I mean it’s not dying but it’s not as great as I’d like it to be doing. I’m having a hard time with those, alwaysssss. The frogspawn and the hammer are tough for me. My parameters are just fine.

I use the corallife light. I run 30% whites and 70% blues. It’s in medium flow and medium light.

TEMPERATURE 79
IODINE: 0.05 ppm
MAGNESIUM: 1 ppm
CALCIUM: 420 ppm
ALKALINITY: 9.2 dkh
SALINITY: 1.025
PHOSPHATE: 0.2 ppm

NITRATE: 10 ppm
PH: 8.3
My first thought when reading this was light and flow. Yes you want medium light and flow. Placement can determine par levels. Are you sure light is medium and not low or high?

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought when reading this was light and flow. Yes you want medium light and flow. Placement can determine par levels. Are you sure light is medium and not low or high?
I have a 40g breeder tank. The lights sits on top of the tank. So maybe my medium wouldn't be medium? Maybe he needs to be on the sanded?

Back