OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I f
I've always had the best results by keeping acans in low and/or shaded lighting and moderate flow. This is a picture of an acan that I had in an old tank a long time ago. As you can see, the new baby heads have much more/better color. These new heads were in indirect low light while the predominantly red heads were getting hit with a lot more light.

Screenshot_20221207-201512_Gallery.jpg
Yeah I found a good spot for mine now! They’re very happy and super super juicy looking lol I’m struggling with my hammer coral though right now

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I f

Yeah I found a good spot for mine now! They’re very happy and super super juicy looking lol I’m struggling with my hammer coral though right now
I have mine placed with medium flow and light about 6in above where my acan is and approximately 13 in from top of water and 24 to 26in from light source

20221207_185414.jpg 20221207_192827.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah where he is now is medium flow, not much. I’ll try another spot. Do you feed the hammer anything?
I do a broadcast feeding of reef chili and reef energy plus AB+ twice a week.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow he’s ginormous! Looks great
Thank you roughly 15 heads picked up a week ago from a local seller but has done awesome fully open in an hour and loving life. Plumps up more after broadcast feeding benepets....

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you roughly 15 heads picked up a week ago from a local seller but has done awesome fully open in an hour and loving life. Plumps up more after broadcast feeding benepets....
I have the oyster feast and phyto feast. I do the phyto in the morning and when I shut off the lights, I wait a few mins till I see all the tentacles come out. That seems to be when they’re most active so I put the oyster one in. My question, how much of the oyster stuff do you use? I have a 40g breeder tank. I have about 30 coral

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Millsaps2378
What is your recommendation....
I broadcast feed benepets. Like reef roids but doesnt make my phosphates go through the roof. Then spot feed mysis. 15 to 20 min after... same concept broadcast to get the corals interested and hungry and mysis to fill em up lol

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the oyster feast and phyto feast. I do the phyto in the morning and when I shut off the lights, I wait a few mins till I see all the tentacles come out. That seems to be when they’re most active so I put the oyster one in. My question, how much of the oyster stuff do you use? I have a 40g breeder tank. I have about 30 coral
@Millsaps2378
What is your recommendation....
I broadcast feed benepets. Like reef roids but doesnt make my phosphates go through the roof. Then spot feed mysis. 15 to 20 min after... same concept broadcast to get the corals interested and hungry and mysis to fill em up lol
Personally, I broadcast oyster feast once a week, but I also feed pellets and a frozen mysis blend that melts down to big and small particles for the fish and corals every other day.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I have mine now. But I wanted to move it. Just wasn’t sure if there were certain corals it couldn’t be close to. I was going to just have it be it’s own island in the front but it would be close to a mushroom island I have.
Be safe and give it a few inches room. Mine got ticked off one night and destroyed a chalice. In the hobby we do underestimate the sweepers they can put out.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I broadcast oyster feast once a week, but I also feed pellets and a frozen mysis blend that melts down to big and small particles for the fish and corals every other day.
Do you think using the oyster feast every night and the phyto feast every morning is too much? I do also every other day feed frozen baby brine (I target feed all the corals) and then I feed corals their regular feed once, sometimes twice a week (goniopowder). And once in a while ill do mysis and pellets to drop in for the hermits and stuff. Right now my tank is fallow because I have velvet. I have about 3 weeks left. I have my fish in methylene blue right now for 30 minutes and then they go back in their bucket. I make a fresh bucket every two days. There is only 3 fish in there at the moment; flame angel, citrus clown goby and a pink skunk baby (who has grown a lot the past two weeks!).

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be safe and give it a few inches room. Mine got ticked off one night and destroyed a chalice. In the hobby we do underestimate the sweepers they can put out.
Yeah, I am not sure where to move it. He isn't happy right now and I can't figure it out. Every other coral is doing really well and happy. He is the only one I can't seem to figure out.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am not sure where to move it. He isn't happy right now and I can't figure it out. Every other coral is doing really well and happy. He is the only one I can't seem to figure out.
What other corals do you have by it? And how close are they?

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually stick them on the sand bed close to the sides so they're not in direct light. So far so good for me at least.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals do you have by it? And how close are they?
one zoa frag - that one is about 4 inches away. That's the only thing close to it. The zoa is also small frag; 2 heads. They're on an island. What's insane is I know its not my parameters. I had bought a goniopora few months ago; it died. Or so I thought. It was all stone!!! one day when I turned on all blue light, I noticed on the stone there was still neon colors showing. It was very subtle. I thought it was strange cause I thought for sure it was dead and just rubble now. So I didn't throw it out. I just left it in one spot and never moved it. I could still see some neon glowing. Now... IT IS GROWING BACK. How dang insane is that??? Ive never seen anything like that happen. I completely ignored it too cause I just thought it was rubble now lol Every week its growing more and more and now I see heads coming back out and more neon colors. So that tells me, my water is dang near great lol

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be placement then maybe try putting on sand bed or bottom of the tank in a corner or somewhat of a shadow area. This is where mine is at compared to lighting and other corals basically by itself on the barebottom half of my split frag tank.
20221207_215214.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back