Acan RTN?

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some new corals online yesterday and they seemed to have acclimated fine. One of the frags is a 2 polyp acan frag. This morning everything looked fine but tonight I came home and the acan frag has tissue falling off, receded, skeleton showing. It looked brownish so I freaked because I never dealt with coral disease and have a ton of corals in this tank. I removed it from the tank asap, dipped it in revive, used tweezers to remove the brown loose tissue substance, and put it in my other tank that only had 3 tester corals in it. This acan was on my frag rack with other acans and they seem fine right now but I'm freaked out.

Is this something that could spread to my other corals? Could this just be nothing and the coral just died 24 hours later from stress. The other corals it came with seem fine. All my existing corals are okay at the moment but I'm panicked. What should I do? Did I do the right thing? I would really hate if this new frag could cause a mass issue in my 2 year old tank with tons of coral. I mainly keep LPS.

Trying night to stress it but if something happens to the entire tank, I don't know what I'll do.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen RTN on acans and usually brown jelly doesnt hit them hard either. Can you post pics?
I assume that you having a 2 year old tank means youre fairly experienced with water parameters (especially since you have other lps)

OP
OP
Aquaman6410

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, parameters are all normal range for my tank and my 14 other existing acan colonies seem fine still, so far its just a one off and it did start 24 hours after arriving. Maybe shipping stress. Here is a picture before lights on yesterday. It was isolated to my other tank with not much in it. The brown all over it is what keeps coming off as the tissue disappears. Its almost complete skeleton today.

20191014_093708.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip the other acans to be sure nothing spread to them.. and then just put them back where they're happy for now. As for the one pictured I'd probably say it's a goner.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, i agree.
I wouldnt risk your other colonies for this one.usually if theres still tissue its solvable but itll take a bit of work. This does seem to be some sort of brown jelly/or tissue degrading. :( sorry

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock do you have because I had an Acan RTN over night and it turned out to be my peppermint shrimp destroying them

OP
OP
Aquaman6410

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far over 48 hours later since it occurred and all other colonies seem fine. The acan didn't make it. The tank it was in when it started has no livestock besides trochus and cerith snails who never mess with things. The only difference was it was brand new so maybe shipping stress?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back