Acans all receding

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have quite a few Acans in my tank. Most are fairly new but were looking good in my tank for 3 ish weeks after purchase. At that point I realized that my AI Prime lighting schedule was pretty poor in terms of providing the right spectrum and intensity which may be why I never saw good coral growth. I adjusted my lighting to match the BRS recommended settings for the Ai Prime 16HD for LPS. Since that point I have seen all my Acans shrink down and start receding. I am not sure if it is the lighting but that seems the most likely culprit. Should I keep the lighting consistent with the new settings and hope everything adapts or should I change back? I put the prim into acclimation mode at 70% but I am not sure that is working. My tank details are below:

• Tank: FijiCube 32EXT
  • Light: AI Prime 16HD running J's Reef Profile turned down to 75%
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus essence 130
  • Water Changes: Automatic nightly change handled by stenner pump doing 5 gallons every 20 days
  • Return Pump: Octo varios S-2 at level 2
  • Powerhead: Nero 5 Running at 30% random
  • Fish: 1 clown, 1 chromis, 1 dwarf angel
  • Coral: Softies and LPS
  • Cleanup: Mix of snails and hermit crabs
  • Sump: FijiCube 20
    • First stage is filter floss changed every 2 days
    • Second stage 20 marine pure balls
    • Third Skimmer compartment
    • Fourth refugium with chaeto using this light LED Light 10pm - 8am - Dosing chaeto grow twice weekly
    • Fifth return section
  • Auto Top Off: AutoAqua ATO
  • Dosing: Tropic Marin All for Reef daily ~9ml
  • ALK: ~8.7
  • Feeding: 2 times weekly rods frozen, 1-2 times weekly flake / pellet food
  • Feeding Coral: 2 times weekly Reef Roids
My current lighting schedule:

Screenshot_20200618-085834.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more measurements are needed.

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done a lot of work already testing and changing lights, which all seem fine, strong work!
But, you do have a dwarf angel, have you ever observed it for a day to see if it is picking at your LPS? Would be my first suspect. Acans are apparently pretty tasty, i have had a yellow clown goby eat $$$ in acans/scoly/etc over a couple months before i figured it out. And YCG arent known to nip like the angels...

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you don't want to ramp your lights up all at once, especially if they were at a significantly lower intensity prior to ramping them up. A good rule of thumb is to increase the intensity 5-10% per week to give your corals time to acclimate to the changes. Although, given that you put the lights in acclimation mode, that may accomplish the same thing. However, I'm not entirely sure as I don't have a Prime so I'm not sure how the acclimation mode functions.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done a lot of work already testing and changing lights, which all seem fine, strong work!
But, you do have a dwarf angel, have you ever observed it for a day to see if it is picking at your LPS? Would be my first suspect. Acans are apparently pretty tasty, i have had a yellow clown goby eat $$$ in acans/scoly/etc over a couple months before i figured it out. And YCG arent known to nip like the angels...

I have never seen him touch the acans. He nibbles on at the rock but I nave never seen it touch a coral. I will be keeping a close eye on him though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you don't want to ramp your lights up all at once, especially if they were at a significantly lower intensity prior to ramping them up. A good rule of thumb is to increase the intensity 5-10% per week to give your corals time to acclimate to the changes. Although, given that you put the lights in acclimation mode, that may accomplish the same thing. However, I'm not entirely sure as I don't have a Prime so I'm not sure how the acclimation mode functions.

Acclimation mode should reduce the intensity and then ramp it up over a number of weeks. Not sure if it is working though. My acans are mostly at the bottom of the tank and should still be getting fairly low PAR likely lower then they were getting from the places I bought them from.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reduced the lighting intensity by 25% across the board. Most of the acans appear to be on their last leg. I moved some into the shadows of the rock scape but haven't seen any change.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why aren't you feeding everyday? My guess is they are being starved. Coral need some NO3. If you have to feed the chaeto, chances are there is nothing in the water to feed the acans.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Had same problem a couple of years ago
It was my flame angel
I had many acan frags which receded but never seen the angel picking at them. Months passed and i decided to buy another acan frag to see how it would hold up (i was convinced my water was contaminated)
As soon as i put it in tank the angel attacked it.
I removed the angel and a couple of weeks later all acans were coming back out

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Had same problem a couple of years ago
It was my flame angel
I had many acan frags which receded but never seen the angel picking at them. Months passed and i decided to buy another acan frag to see how it would hold up (i was convinced my water was contaminated)
As soon as i put it in tank the angel attacked it.
I removed the angel and a couple of weeks later all acans were coming back out

The only thing that makes me think it isn't the angel is that I had sevearl Acans in the tank for many months that were doing great and growing well. Then I changed the lighting and added more acans and they all went downhill quickly.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why aren't you feeding everyday? My guess is they are being starved. Coral need some NO3. If you have to feed the chaeto, chances are there is nothing in the water to feed the acans.
I have been feeding almost every day now but am not really seeing any difference in the acans :(

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a peppermint shrimp? Mine picked at my acans at night
No shrimp at the moment, only stocking is 1 clown, 1 pygmy angel, 1 chromis and a variety of snails / hermit crabs

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans are a pain in the but in my tank due to me lowering nutrients. Acans were huge and happy with 10 nitrates and .10 phosphates. I would start with ensuring you have appropriate values. I have acans now that stay on the smaller side but I keep them under a rock overhang in about 70-80 par and they are growing still, just not super fat. I find they hate high light and low nutrients

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am wondering about you water parameters.

Also, I would not go off of BRS recommendations for lighting. Yes they used a PAR meter and did some decent work. But there are other things like flo that affect PAR also. I subscribe to the philosophy of Thein from tidal gardens, it's always better to start low and give corals not enough light then to give them too much light.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have any pictures of the acans and i can tell you how they compare to mine that were harassed by my angel

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super low flow and low lights. I did that with mine after they were pretty much colorless and almost skeleton. I saw feeder tentacles the very next day. Not even exaggerating.

I actually put mine underneath my overflow box, which is basically one big shaded area and that’s where they got better.

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have quite a few Acans in my tank. Most are fairly new but were looking good in my tank for 3 ish weeks after purchase. At that point I realized that my AI Prime lighting schedule was pretty poor in terms of providing the right spectrum and intensity which may be why I never saw good coral growth. I adjusted my lighting to match the BRS recommended settings for the Ai Prime 16HD for LPS. Since that point I have seen all my Acans shrink down and start receding. I am not sure if it is the lighting but that seems the most likely culprit. Should I keep the lighting consistent with the new settings and hope everything adapts or should I change back? I put the prim into acclimation mode at 70% but I am not sure that is working. My tank details are below:

• Tank: FijiCube 32EXT
  • Light: AI Prime 16HD running J's Reef Profile turned down to 75%
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus essence 130
  • Water Changes: Automatic nightly change handled by stenner pump doing 5 gallons every 20 days
  • Return Pump: Octo varios S-2 at level 2
  • Powerhead: Nero 5 Running at 30% random
  • Fish: 1 clown, 1 chromis, 1 dwarf angel
  • Coral: Softies and LPS
  • Cleanup: Mix of snails and hermit crabs
  • Sump: FijiCube 20
    • First stage is filter floss changed every 2 days
    • Second stage 20 marine pure balls
    • Third Skimmer compartment
    • Fourth refugium with chaeto using this light LED Light 10pm - 8am - Dosing chaeto grow twice weekly
    • Fifth return section
  • Auto Top Off: AutoAqua ATO
  • Dosing: Tropic Marin All for Reef daily ~9ml
  • ALK: ~8.7
  • Feeding: 2 times weekly rods frozen, 1-2 times weekly flake / pellet food
  • Feeding Coral: 2 times weekly Reef Roids
My current lighting schedule:

Screenshot_20200618-085834.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more measurements are needed.

I have older AI hydra 26’s and recently did a big lighting schedule swap. Couple of questions to think about if you haven’t already. Length of lights in terms of how long they are on, peak intensity hours? Are they the same or different from before? Also I notice the peak hours last for 8+ hours with little ramp up time. That’s like being in high noon sun for 8 hours which in reality is not how our sun exposure works throughout the day. However, I do know schedules like this work great for others. I had a lighting schedule similar to yours just shorter peak time (4hrs) and longer ramp up and down. I felt like my growth was slow and colors were ok so I had recently made a change to a David Saxby style setup (keep in mind his tank is super deep so his full schedule may be too much for your tank).

When I did this I had to do some calculations to determine how much I needed to reduce the lighting for acclimation. Some colors needed only a 50% reduction while other needed over 70%. Plus I greatly increased the amount of time my lights were actually on. So I decided to do a 75% reduction overall and 6 week acclimation period. About halfway through I felt like the lights were getting too intense. Things just weren’t as fully extended. Dialed back the acclimation again and ecided to do the PAR meter rental from BRS. Found out I was actually running high on par based upon what I’ve read on others suggestions for LPS. Dialed in the final numbers I wanted and ended up at 60% of what his original schedule was. End of the day all of my LPS handled it well.

If you aren’t sure if the acclimation setting is working or not just turn the function off wait for the lights to update and watch it. If it’s working you will see a difference in light intensity.

I know making changes in the AI system can be a challenge sometimes so if you need some other lighting ideas a guy my husband found on Twitter has this website for AI lights. https://reeflightprofiles.com/. Lots of different lighting schedules on there that you can download and put in the AI app really easy.

I also agree with the others it could be your dwarf angel. I’ve never been brave enough to keep an angel fish because I’d be super upset if they ate my corals. I’ve had many reefers tell me as long as they are fed well they don’t nip at their stuff. I too would also be interested in your parameters for nitrates and phosphates. None of my corals were happy with near zero of either of those things and high lighting.
Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second pic looks alot like mine did but the rest dont so, hard to tell

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back