Acanthastrea echinata care questions.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
12,736
Location
Pensacola, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, hope everyone is having a great day so far!

I just got in my recent WWC ebay winnings and one of them was a WWC Ahhhmazing Echinata, I've heard that they have the same or similar care requirements as micromussa lords but I just wanted to gather everyone's opinion on this coral before I place it permanently.

My plan is to keep it low and slow (as opposed to my bidding strategy :cool:), for now I'll temporarily place the coral low on the aquascape and keep it out of direct flow for the most part.

How bad are the stinging tentacles on this coral? I was reading somewhere that they can reach 5-6 inches?? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
 
bump_kitty.jpg
 
Hey folks, hope everyone is having a great day so far!

I just got in my recent WWC ebay winnings and one of them was a WWC Ahhhmazing Echinata, I've heard that they have the same or similar care requirements as micromussa lords but I just wanted to gather everyone's opinion on this coral before I place it permanently.

My plan is to keep it low and slow (as opposed to my bidding strategy :cool:), for now I'll temporarily place the coral low on the aquascape and keep it out of direct flow for the most part.

How bad are the stinging tentacles on this coral? I was reading somewhere that they can reach 5-6 inches?? Can anyone confirm or deny that?
My experience was that anything within 6 inches was destroyed by the acan. I eventually sold it to get more peaceful corals

Mine was kept under 250w halide plus actinic bulbs but I would also say keep it in lower light.
 
Lower light and flow, much like normal acan lords. I also agree they are very aggressive and you don't want them near anything. Nice corals but just need space for sure.
 
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to give it plenty of distance from anything nice haha
 
I'm gonna try to isolate it to it's own rock on the sand bed away from all the things. We'll see how that goes haha
 
A nice 5" buffer is a good idea. They are more aggressive than typical lords IME. They like to throw mesenterial filaments. Low to medium light and low flow kept ours happy.

They will also sting the **** out of Lords, so don't try keeping the two species together/touching.

Edit: Oops - Yeah, like in that picture!
 
It’s basically puking his guts onto neighboring coral to kill it. I can’t remember the tech term. I think they are called menenterial filaments
 
They are mesenterial filaments.

I had an acan echinata do the same thing to a mushroom that grew too close. I wish I had time to find the picture.

Give it plenty of space. Mine was a fairly fast grower so plan for that too.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new