Acanthophyllia Help

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received this Acanthophyllia 2 days ago. It was purchased from one of the sponsors here on R2R.
Upon opening the box, the corals were placed inside 2 insulated bags, but the 2 heat packs were outside of the bags, taped to the box. I temperature acclimated the coral and then placed it in a bucket. Once I was able to really see the Acanthophyllia, I noticed it’s mouth was gaping and was unhappy looking. I chalked it up to shipping stress and cold shipping water. Fast forward to today and the coral is showing no signs of improvement. I’ve tried feeding mysis, reefroids and dosed some AB+. No response at all from the coral. I’ve attached one photo of it prior to introducing it to my tank. I can add more later if needed. I’ve contacted the vendor and I’m awaiting a response. What next steps should I take? Thanks!

008C69CF-C917-4EF3-ADCF-1DCA93422CFB.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you reached out to the vendor?

It does look like it was unhappy in shipping.

Did you temp the bag water when it arrived?

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. Unfortunately, I've been told since it isn't "dead" they will not honor their DOA policy.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to the vendor?

It does look like it was unhappy in shipping.

Did you temp the bag water when it arrived?
I did not, but it was definitely cooler than tank water.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, I want this thing to live. I'm doing all of the things I've read in other posts, but most of what I've read involves getting the coral to eat. Which isn't happening. At least not yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I received this Acanthophyllia 2 days ago. It was purchased from one of the sponsors here on R2R.
Upon opening the box, the corals were placed inside 2 insulated bags, but the 2 heat packs were outside of the bags, taped to the box. I temperature acclimated the coral and then placed it in a bucket. Once I was able to really see the Acanthophyllia, I noticed it’s mouth was gaping and was unhappy looking. I chalked it up to shipping stress and cold shipping water. Fast forward to today and the coral is showing no signs of improvement. I’ve tried feeding mysis, reefroids and dosed some AB+. No response at all from the coral. I’ve attached one photo of it prior to introducing it to my tank. I can add more later if needed. I’ve contacted the vendor and I’m awaiting a response. What next steps should I take? Thanks!

008C69CF-C917-4EF3-ADCF-1DCA93422CFB.jpeg
Allow it to adapt to tank. As long as it got a good acclimation, should open. In the mean time assure shipper/seller was made aware right away

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have. Unfortunately, I've been told since it isn't "dead" they will not honor their DOA policy.
So sorry.

Even tho the acantho is not DOA the vendor knows thats not a healthy coral and shipping was rough for it.

Sucks they won't try to work with you.

OK so what I'd do is as follows...

Stop trying to feed the coral you're drowning it in food when it needs to acclimate correctly to its new environment.

Keep parameters stable and keep it low flow and low light.

Speaking of parameters how old is your tank and where are your parameters today?

Meat corals are pretty sensitive to p04 and n03 so if it came from a vendor that runs a lot different numbers nutrient wise than you the meat coral could be shocked a bit more than the usual.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry.

Even tho the acantho is not DOA the vendor knows thats not a healthy coral and shipping was rough for it.

Sucks they won't try to work with you.

OK so what I'd do is as follows...

Stop trying to feed the coral you're drowning it in food when it needs to acclimate correctly to its new environment.

Keep parameters stable and keep it low flow and low light.

Speaking of parameters how old is your tank and where are your parameters today?

Meat corals are pretty sensitive to p04 and n03 so if it came from a vendor that runs a lot different numbers nutrient wise than you the meat coral could be shocked a bit more than the usual.
Right now it's in my invert QT/coral tank. I haven't tested parameters in a while, but I can. I would assume they're fine though. The tank has been up and running for probably 6 months. There's 3 torches, a cynarina, button scoly, and a few others that are perfectly fine. I'll test parameters later tonight.

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone and let it be. They definitely take a bit to adapt. What you want it doing is inflating and fluffing up.

OP
OP
C

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Acanthophyllia officially died a few days. The vendor got back with me (Corals Anonymous) and made it right. Their support was very helpful. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back