Accepting BTA from Tank with Bubble Algae - Seeking Advice

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall Question: How can I avoid hitchhikers(all kinds) when accepting a BTA? Suggestions on an acceptance process is appreciated. No dips/treatments?

Specifically: The current owner states he has bubble algae. Otherwise the tank looks visual well taken care of. I've been fortunate to have almost no pests of any kind. I don't want to start now. Suggestions on how to specifically avoid this pest? Does moving the BTA to a quarantine tank even provide value in trying to avoid bubble algae? Or is this just a question of...if you can't see any on the BTA you're fine?

My system has been recently fully cleaned and stabilized on parameters ready for a BTA based on the reading of R2R threads. 150 gallon system. Current owner has had a few splits and wants to rehome them.

Side Comment: Accepting BTA from the LFS doesn't appear to be much better in the way of avoiding the bubble algae issue.

Appreciate any insights on the topic. Thank you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see bubble algae as an issue. It's easily managed

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't THINK anenome are vectors for algea unless it's coming with the rock it's attached to.

If free floating, maybe give it subsequent clean water dips in your tank water and discard the water how you would with dipping frags. I know some dips say they are anemone safe but I don't personally trust that.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep just leave it in water in a bucket to allow it to expel anything, but i dont dip anemones because its risky. Most likely bubble algae wont transfer, i hate the stuff too and wont buy a frag from a store if i see it in their system at all.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously pointed out, if the anemone isn't attached to a rock, then there's not much to worry about. Dipping should help wiht rgards to an anemone that isn't attached to anything, but I have yet to hear of an anemone transferring bubble algae to an otherwise clean tank.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this myself..In your tank ..the bubble algae may not have the conditions to thrive and exist as in the previous tank..I wouldn't worry about it ,,,in other words...

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Dip is an iodine based dip that is safe for Anemones. I dipped mine in it before putting it in my tank. According to Bob Fenner, iodine is good for Anemones.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back