Accidentally ripped BTA. Will it be okay?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two BTA together on a rock and I wanted to move them to and different tank. As I tried to take the apart, the rock split and causes one of the BTA to be ripped as well

judging by the photos will it be okay?

A0F90BB2-5FD5-4898-952B-84F03BD701E1.jpeg AE7EC25F-A6DB-49A4-A865-F35CB06003ED.jpeg 0C9130A0-2BE6-48DB-98CF-64E7C6C48017.jpeg 62F4D5FE-9E5F-457B-B7B1-36ECEED2FB25.jpeg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foot itself ripped it will not like make it. You can leave it in with no flow for a little while to see if it will attach, but if it does not i'd dispose of it.
If tentacles ripped and the foot is fine it should be ok. I've pulled them out of pumps and powerheads before, as long as the foot is fine, usually the nem is.
Sorry to hear. I've done it before with bubble tips and mushrooms when moving rocks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foot itself ripped it will not like make it. You can leave it in with no flow for a little while to see if it will attach, but if it does not i'd dispose of it.
If tentacles ripped and the foot is fine it should be ok. I've pulled them out of pumps and powerheads before, as long as the foot is fine, usually the nem is.
Sorry to hear. I've done it before with bubble tips and mushrooms when moving rocks.

This isn't an LTA. If a foot tear on a BTA is fatal, how does it survive splitting?

It's hard to tell from the pics, but in general, BTA's can handle quite a beating and it should recover fine provided good, stable conditions.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I placed it in the tank and will observe. I can’t tell if the foot is damaged or not. At least the other is okay.
The other half is still in the old tank for observation as well just in case

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's literally tear themselves in half. They are resilient and they are fast healers.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's literally tear themselves in half. They are resilient and they are fast healers.
Have you ever tried cutting them in half to split them?
It's extremely difficult with a low survival rate, and you must go perfectly thru the mouth for any chance at them surviving.
When manually torn/ripped in half, they don't often survive. Notice I said to leave it in for a while and see if it attaches..

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's extremely difficult with a low survival rate, and you must go perfectly thru the mouth for any chance at them surviving.
When manually torn/ripped in half, they don't often survive. Notice I said to leave it in for a while and see if it attaches..

I dont cut my BTA's but plenty of people do regularly with success. It's a relatively easy procedure.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out last night it puffed up and looked like it'll pull through.

This morning it's not where I left it. I can't find it, will wait till the lights come on for a better look, hopefully it moved and not just melted away.

the other half that I left in the old tank also moved and is bubbled up (lights still out). I think I now have 3 BTA instead of 2. Hope they'll be ok!

Last edited:

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the opposite side of things when mine naturally split I constantly see pencil erasure sized pieces with no tentacles or one tentacle mature into monsters over the course of a year.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back