Accidentally split green branching coral in half

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! I accidently split my green hammer coral trying to remove it from a rock and i split it directly in half. I know i shouldve just used cutters. The heads are still inflated and together but the skeleton is split all the way to the head but idk what to do. Do i glue it back into 1 piece or just use a blade and cut it in half or just glue it back to the rock the way it is? Ive seen 1 thread on another site where a guy did the same with a torch he split in half and it grew into 2 heads. Would love feedback. I dont know my parameters but everything i have is fine. I do monthly 40-50% water changes every 3 weeks with natural sea water( im from an island). Last test i did 2 weeks ago parameters were spot on after my last water change

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Help!! I accidently split my green hammer coral trying to remove it from a rock and i split it directly in half. I know i shouldve just used cutters. The heads are still inflated and together but the skeleton is split all the way to the head but idk what to do. Do i glue it back into 1 piece or just use a blade and cut it in half or just glue it back to the rock the way it is? Ive seen 1 thread on another site where a guy did the same with a torch he split in half and it grew into 2 heads. Would love feedback. I dont know my parameters but everything i have is fine. I do monthly 40-50% water changes every 3 weeks with natural sea water( im from an island). Last test i did 2 weeks ago parameters were spot on after my last water change
You have two hammer stems and coral. If they grow, you potentially have two colonies in the future. The skeleton will heal over

OP
OP
Cayreefer

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride
These are the 2 splits. I just glued them unto a frag. Hoping maybe they could join again but maybe im over-hoping lol. I glued them close as possible but not touching. My goal was to glue em back together but im trying it this way. I have 2 more if either of these 2 dont survive. Im hoping vetteguy is right and they will turn into 2 colonies. Worst case is it dies and im left with 2 . Best case is i get 4

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 82

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a YouTube channel that this same thing happened to.(fragbox tv) I’m not sure if his hammer healed but you could always reach out to him and ask for help. He also basically broke his hammer down the middle while trying to frag it with his fingers. One of the heads broke and he just glued the skeleton back together I think.
(Clarification I am NOT advising anything just hoping to provide somewhat useful info)

Wish you luck

prokhk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally cracked a hammer skeleton in half in a similar way when trying to frag it with bone cutters (won't try that again). I ended up gluing it together to a frag plug with super glue. It was upset for a few days but now a month later its growing again.

kurbanas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also cracked a hammer and thought it was a goner but it recovered. I was amazed at the resilience of the animal, I am guessing you will be fine.

lilzbra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with a few hammers and torches in the past. Try to glue the pieces back together along the seems where they came apart. If you are careful and get it pretty much the way it was it will heal up like others are stating. Keep the glue off of the living tissue if you can!

OP
OP
Cayreefer

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an update. I ended up just gluing both pieces on its own frag plug and both are still alive and healthy. Im assuming they will just start a brand new colony. Like turning 1 head into 2! These corals seem really resilient. Assuming the broken size will eventually straight up or grow a new head idk. Will post an update next month

OP
OP
Cayreefer

Cayreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an update. I ended up just gluing both pieces on its own frag plug and both are still alive and healthy. Im assuming they will just start a brand new colony. Like turning 1 head into 2! These corals seem really resilient. Assuming the broken size will eventually straight up or grow a new head idk

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back