Accidentally used laundry detergent on filter socks

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RTR, Today I messed up and put filter socks in the washer and forgot to turn off the load and go feature (auto detergent) and it ran for about 10 minutes until I realized what I did and stopped it. I then put the socks on a double 2 and a half hour cycle with bleach, with a pre soak and extra rinse on both cycles. When I smelled the socks they just smell like bleach. Any input is helpful.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it will be fine. I occasionally use detergent and just do an extra rinse cycle. Never had an issue.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above, but also if it concerns you, they're readily available and generally pretty cheap to replace if you want some peace of mind. I think the wash cycles you put them through is sufficient. Let them air dry until the bleach smell is gone before using.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as everyone has mentioned, you should be fine (just give them a day or two to air out). I use bleach on mine in hot water weekly.... but I am switching to a Rollermat in the next two weeks...got tired of washing these socks...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above, but also if it concerns you, they're readily available and generally pretty cheap to replace if you want some peace of mind. I think the wash cycles you put them through is sufficient. Let them air dry until the bleach smell is gone before using.
The presence of a bleachy odor does not mean that any bleach is still present.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back