OP
OP
Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your anemone???? I've noticed that sometimes mine during the day it closes... maybe the light? it is just for a couple of minutes I think, may be one hour... does yours do the same? :0)
Honestly Rossio I think it varies with the anemone, to me it seems they all have different personalities.
Currently my anemone has been a complete blessing! He has stayed in the original spot that I put him in (well kinda, he did move a little to put his foot below a rock and have the ability to stretch out completely during the day).
He only closes up some nights, especially when the skunk shrimp goes near him. He loves to eat, and devours his krill that I feed him once a week (two small krill)... I feel that his color has remained beautiful and he is much larger then when he was introduced. Hang in theere with yours Rossio, they need time to acclimate and then you will notice a big difference. Just make sure to do your water changes, and no drastic changes in temp, salinity etc...

Rossio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Rossio I think it varies with the anemone, to me it seems they all have different personalities.
Currently my anemone has been a complete blessing! He has stayed in the original spot that I put him in (well kinda, he did move a little to put his foot below a rock and have the ability to stretch out completely during the day).
He only closes up some nights, especially when the skunk shrimp goes near him. He loves to eat, and devours his krill that I feed him once a week (two small krill)... I feel that his color has remained beautiful and he is much larger then when he was introduced. Hang in theere with yours Rossio, they need time to acclimate and then you will notice a big difference. Just make sure to do your water changes, and no drastic changes in temp, salinity etc...

Thanks!!!! well... I'm glad your anemore is ok... it feels great to have coral, fish and inverts healthy and whith all those bright colors! As I've been reading and as you said, they all have different personalities and are unpredictable, may be that's why they are so special :0) I'll keep watching it very closely!

Zoaguy93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread. I just bought one online can't wait to see if my maroon clown will have a new place to hang out in.
Same here I know it's four years later but just bought my first nem offfline and can't wait to see my maroon host it

Karla Hazlewood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first EBT n wasn't sure upon receiving which side was the foot. It just looked like a pink blob. I acclimated it, put it on a porous rock n within minutes it had turned over and an hour later it was attached. However, not sure if something is wrong. It seems to be flattening when I turn on the lights n then just a pink blob. Am I doing something wrong? Pet store said feed it, so I tried a turkey baster feed. Seemed to be good thos morning, then lights were turned on, flat again. No tentacles have been seen on it yet....

20171101_075204.jpg

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read this this thread and I have learned alot. I was always afraid of purchasing nem's and drip acclimating them into Revive like my other corals.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first EBT n wasn't sure upon receiving which side was the foot. It just looked like a pink blob. I acclimated it, put it on a porous rock n within minutes it had turned over and an hour later it was attached. However, not sure if something is wrong. It seems to be flattening when I turn on the lights n then just a pink blob. Am I doing something wrong? Pet store said feed it, so I tried a turkey baster feed. Seemed to be good thos morning, then lights were turned on, flat again. No tentacles have been seen on it yet....

You should start your own, separate thread. Give it some time to adjust to the new environment.

Was it inflated (did it look healthy to begin with) when you bought it? I would not feed it for a week or two.

I read this this thread and I have learned alot. I was always afraid of purchasing nem's and drip acclimating them into Revive like my other corals.

Do not use a coral dip on nems.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Do not use a coral dip on nems."

I can't agree nor re-emphasize this more...do not coral dip your anemones. An online vendor tossed my RBTA into a bag of frags, so when I was dropping the frags into the Revive solution, I thought one of the frag plugs just had brown encrusting, so I let it roll into the dip container.

I realized my critical mistake the second it hit the water, so I reached in and placed it into warmed RO/DI water for a minute, then double dipped in tank water before placing in the tank. Poor thing didn't get a drip acclimation, only a temp acclimation of 15-20 minutes, and unsurprisingly did not make it.

I've read a couple people online talk about dipping their nems, but others have questioned why and have defined an anemone's anatomy to where it's just pure cruelty to dip these non-coral creatures. I guess that's why it's called "coral dip" and not "nem dip," but I'm sure we're going to get a keyboard-full from someone doing it successfully. :)

As always, just my two cents from a guy too new to claim to know what he's talking about.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this thread suggesting that temp acclimation (aka bag floating) is sufficient for BTAs ?

brawthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just floats their RBTAS and isolates them in tanks. It's a quality LFS, and they have gorgeous specimens.

I have 3 rbtas and two mini carpets- I floated them and drip acclimated them all for maybe 30 mins-but quite frankly I probably coulda dropped them in right away.

Edit: Just saw someone mention dipping them. DO NOT DO THAT. Anemones are mostly water and it's a great way to give them a much higher dose than your sps and lps.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp acclimation before drip acclimation is pointless. It does not make any sense. First, the bag adjusts to the DT water, then you take it out of the bag to place it in a container for the drip acclimation where it adjust to the ambient temperature. If anything you have to place the bag in your sump and let a tubing run down from your display tank into the bag. That way you'll temp acclimate it while getting it used to your water. Sorry for digging up that old thread. I somehow always stumble upon older threads haha.

Tang Crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any real advice other then let it ride it out. I've had a few roses that would do the same and look pretty crapy for a few weeks then one day they just open right up and look amazing. Also on the other hand I've had nems look great when I first get them and a few weeks later they parish.

One thing to check befor even buying any nem is to check the foot for any signs of damage. While it is in the bag I always check the foot for damage. Some LPS don't care about what happens to the animal after it is sold. I've had a shop close to me hire a kid that had no clue what he was doing when it came to marine animals. When he was bagging a nem for me he thought he had to get it off the little rock it was on. While he ripping it the rock he totally ripped the foot apart. I did watch him bag it and didn't check b 4 paying. I got it home and saw how bad the nem looked. I took it back a the owner told me there was nothing he could do I already payed and he doesn't do returns. Lets just say I haven't been back to that shop sense.

So always check the animal b 4 paying.

The best way to describe foot damage is it looks like tiny white curly spaghetti.
Put the name of the shop on here that's BS lets call him out ...

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds to me like it's just acclimating itself to your system.
hiding is likely attributed to your lighting and the nem slowly adjusting to it.
IMO do NOT feed it. water changes are fine but be sure to maintain SG and Temp as not to make any sudden changes that may stress it out.
for now I would leave it alone BUT keep a close eye on it and see how it progresses over the next few days.

keep us posted and pix :)

FWIW, I would suggest finding a way to slowly increase your pH to 8.3 or there about if possible
I needed this advice today. Acclimated a new rainbow bubble (float and drip acclimated), looked amazing in the tank - fully inflated. I had my tank off so that he could settle in and just chill for a few more minutes. When I turned my tank on and the flow started he moved in the first hour deeper into the rock and 4 hours later he has moved about 3 more inches and is fully in the cave. My rainbow firefish is looking at me like, "why did you let this thing in my den?" Anyway. The tentacles are now deflated and he hasn't moved again. So thank you, will keep an eye on him.
I am super nervous as my first nem a year ago had a cut foot from the dealer, and I awakened the next day to a tank of dead fish. I think I just have PTSD over my first Armageddon experience.
Hopeful....

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I extremely new but I have read to turn flow off as well to help it take hold and acclimate. This can help with it not moving around as much and going into a power head.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back