Acclimating Shipped Fish

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say that this is the best way imo. I have never done it but everything makes sense. either the gills burn from keeping them in that water then they die a few days later OR they are uncomfortable for a little. Another thing I would add is to keep the lights off since they were just in the dark and now in a new home.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can float the bad to match temp, but you only drop them straight into a QT or DT if the salinity matches, otherwise you will have to drip acclimate them of which I am not a fan of.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided salinity and temp match my opinion is to get the fish out of the shipping water as quick as possible and into whatever tank. I usually just set a net over a bucket. Then open the picket and dump it immediately into the net and the fish goes straight into the QT or DT. Mitigates chance of ammonium converting to ammonia and causing gill burn.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can float the bad to match temp, but you only drop them straight into a QT or DT if the salinity matches, otherwise you will have to drip acclimate them of which I am not a fan of.
Provided salinity and temp match my opinion is to get the fish out of the shipping water as quick as possible and into whatever tank. I usually just set a net over a bucket. Then open the picket and dump it immediately into the net and the fish goes straight into the QT or DT. Mitigates chance of ammonium converting to ammonia and causing gill burn.
I just looked it up and the California LiveAquaria facility keeps fish at a specific gravity between .018-.020. I keep mine at .025-.026. I can’t match the salinity without drip acclimating. Which is worse? The ammonia exposure or the salinity change?

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia exposure will smoke their gills. I would personally float, then get them in whatever you are putting them in like said above with the net

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a tank set for what they it will be. I then make a bottle of fresh water and a bottle of high salt water.
scotch tape the bag, poke bag there with a syringe take a sample. Match the tank salinity. Tape hole with scotch tape, and float.
Drop in fish.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you make a bucket or container at 1.020 with heat and aeration. Dump them in their and then drop acclimate that water?
Bring the salinity up that much would be a hard thing to do drip acclimating from my nano tank.

I always have a tank set for what they it will be. I then make a bottle of fresh water and a bottle of high salt water.
scotch tape the bag, poke bag there with a syringe take a sample. Match the tank salinity. Tape hole with scotch tape, and float.
Drop in fish.
unfortunately I don’t have a setup to do so.

Ammonia exposure will smoke their gills. I would personally float, then get them in whatever you are putting them in like said above with the net
You don’t think the change in salinity will kill them?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you make a bucket or container at 1.020 with heat and aeration. Dump them in their and then drop acclimate that water?
I have never tried it like that. I try to make it as quick and seem less as possibly without rushing, if that makes sense. When you move fish from container to container you are inducing shock in the fish, something that they do not react well to. That’s why, if it’s possible, I match salinity in my QT tank and drop them straight in after a quick bath in methyl blue. Many many people have drip acclimated without issue, but I have noticed that every time I did it the fish would breath heavy and change color because they were so stressed out.

Their are 2 great reefers that I follow, i unquestionably follow their methods because they are proven, that’s @HotRocks and @4FordFamily.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the salinity up that much would be a hard thing to do drip acclimating from my nano tank.

unfortunately I don’t have a setup to do so.

You don’t think the change in salinity will kill them?
You can drip acclimate them, many many reefers have done it over the years.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming the salinity jump is going to be okay and the fish will survive that and be more comfortable than a drip acclimation in ammonia

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself being one, fish handle a drop in salinity better than a rise. To go from 1.019 to 1.026 is a big jump. If salinity matching isn’t in the cards, which you have stated it’s not, then I would say to drip acclimate them.

@HotRocks, can you speed up drip acclimation?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, live Aquaria doesn’t use copper in their tanks last time I checked...Why can’t you just put some Prime-ammonia detoxifier into the fish’s water? It will detoxify ammonia for 48 hours, much longer than a drop acclimation procedure.
My tank is about 1.29 salinity. I use NSW, so not drip acclimating is a death sentence.

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem - Prime is great to deal with the ammonia once the bag is open. Just pick up a tiny bottle from your LFS. Big box stores should carry it too.

You can't really over dose prime. just add a few drops into the shipping bag immediately after you open it to neutralize the ammonia after air exposure and start your drip acclimate procedure. Once you pour the bag into a bucket you can also add a couple more drops and mix the water with your finger. It's cheap and easy.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would verify the copper thing. LiveAquaria (not DD) is a middle man for QM and perhaps other wholesalers. If the wrong assumption is made about copper and that is combined with copper there will be disaster. Add I completely agree that matching the destination take salinity to shipping salinity is preferred. Just my opinion but I think the stress of making two moves (bag to bucket to tank) would induce less stressful then a significant salinity jump or possible ammonia exposure. If you can confirm no copper in shipping water by either contacting LA or testing then Prime would be a winner for you and you are home free.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back