What do we actually acclimate fish for?

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on everyone’s thoughts on acclimation. What does a fish actually need to be acclimated to? Obviously temp and salinity, but I’m guessing ph as well? Is there any reason a fish in a holding tank can’t be just transferred straight over as long as those 3 are matching from one tank to the other?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One reason is quarantining the fish. Also, many LFS, etc use low doses of medication which you could not want to transfer to your tank. Lastly, it's less stressful for the fish.

A couple important points. While many of the parameters of an LFS SHOULD be the same as a home tank - some are not - so acclimation helps. Salinity is especially important (as is temp - as you mentioned)

If you're getting a fish from an LFS that is a short drive from your house or if you buy fish that are already in a reef type tank (with coral/.inverts) acclimation should be less of a problem - since the parameters should be already matching a reef-type environment.

If you're getting fish overnight or that has been in a bag for some time - this can be more of an issue - due to the buildup of ammonia. Confident with this (in the bag) - the pH tends to drop - which also shifts ammonia to a less toxic form. If you drip acclimate and rapidly increase the pH - you may have more ammonia toxicity

Bottom line - I do not think there is one 'acclimation' protocol - I would follow the protocol that the store you bought the fish, etc from

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I meant if I have a holding tank (fish has been quarantined, then transferred to an observation tank) and the water in my holding tank exactly matches my display, is there any need to acclimate at that point?

I would assume you wouldn’t want to do this from a qt to display because as you mentioned about lfs having meds, so would a qt.

I’ve always acclimated, I was just curious if it was even necessary in certain situations where I know the temp, ph, and salinity all match from my holding tank to my display.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I meant if I have a holding tank (fish has been quarantined, then transferred to an observation tank) and the water in my holding tank exactly matches my display, is there any need to acclimate at that point?

I would assume you wouldn’t want to do this from a qt to display because as you mentioned about lfs having meds, so would a qt.

I’ve always acclimated, I was just curious if it was even necessary in certain situations where I know the temp, ph, and salinity all match from my holding tank to my display

Nope no issue. As long as its not kept long in a bag and had a chance to build up ammonia in the water causing ammonia toxicity when the bag is opened and exposed to air.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’ve always acclimated, I was just curious if it was even necessary in certain situations where I know the temp, ph, and salinity all match from my holding tank to my display.
I do not think it's necessary - unless the parameters are quite a bit different. I have never done it unless it was a new fish coming from another site.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back