OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~24 hours after opening. CO2 doesn't diffuse out of water instantly.
Well, from what I hear, the problem is the higher pH water from our tanks raising the pH in the bag water quickly, increasing the ammonia’s toxicity.

I think I’m overthinking this, though. I’ll just temperature acclimate all the fish, then pour them into a bucket, and acclimate as usual.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, from what I hear, the problem is the higher pH water from our tanks raising the pH in the bag water quickly, increasing the ammonia’s toxicity.

Maybe, but the same people who said that pH rises instantly once you open the bag are the same ones telling us that even though they were totally wrong the first time that we should believe them a second time.

I would want to see some experimentation or math especially since we're diluting the ammonia at the same time.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but the same people who said that pH rises instantly once you open the bag are the same ones telling us that even though they were totally wrong the first time that we should believe them a second time.

I would want to see some experimentation or math especially since we're diluting the ammonia at the same time.
Yeah, I hear people talking about the ammonia issue, but can’t recall anybody saying they lost a fish due to it.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wrestled with this issue over the years. For years I did the slow drip method and it usually worked out ok. But fairly often a fish would be swimming around in the bag and then after the slow drip was in apparent shock. Within days it might recover or not. Ran across vendors that would not honor their guarantee if you dripped and others that required a drip. The Reef2Reef chemistry guru Randy Holmes-Farley says that ammonia is certainly an issue with shipped fish. What I've settled on is doing a slow drip AFTER adding a couple drops of Prime to the bags. This has worked for me.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wrestled with this issue over the years. For years I did the slow drip method and it usually worked out ok. But fairly often a fish would be swimming around in the bag and then after the slow drip was in apparent shock. Within days it might recover or not. Ran across vendors that would not honor their guarantee if you dripped and others that required a drip. The Reef2Reef chemistry guru Randy Holmes-Farley says that ammonia is certainly an issue with shipped fish. What I've settled on is doing a slow drip AFTER adding a couple drops of Prime to the bags. This has worked for me.
I wish that was an option for me. Looks like this vendor has copper in their system, which would not interact well with the Prime.

I’m thinking I’ll just do a relatively fast drip acclimation.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else in this hobby there are many ways to do something with the same results.

As far as the ammonia question. Seems no one really knows for sure. Because there is no money to be made on a study of that.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll followup here when they arrive. He ended up being able to ship a day early, so they should be here in a few hours. Hopefully a quick drip acclimation is, in fact, the way to go.

I’m thinking 30-60 minutes.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone just got here! Shockingly early for UPS in my area, in fact.

They look great. I'm stoked to get them in their tanks. I'll update with how acclimation goes.

Thanks, Reef Beauties/Nate!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation went well, and everyone is settling in nicely.

I did a one hour drip acclimation with an airstone and heater. No issues whatsoever.

The only bummer is that the CBB isn’t eating... I’ve tried mysis and spirulina brine. Now I’m trying masstick. Still no luck. Hopefully he shows interest in the next few days.

If anyone has any tips, they would be most appreciated.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back