Acclimation concern

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a really good point. Thanks for the input!

You will not be able to float your mombasae. I believe trying to float the 20 lbs of water would have displaced just about every drop in there. The salinity of the shipping water is always higher than my 1.020 QT, no matter where I order from. I don't acclimate when they are going down to a lower salinity, but I do raise salinity slowly. DDs water is never below 1.027 in my shipments. Today the two bags are 1.027 and 1.o28. The highest I've gotten was 1.030. How many fish have I gotten from there so that my data would even matter? They have sent me free fish. Twice. Just 'cause.....

The bagging is like nothing you have seen before. The temperature of your tank would take centuries to affect the temperature of the water within the fortress.

Renee -

I also have a Mombasa arriving tomorrow. It will ship over night from DD. Could you please tell me how you would acclimate him?

I can tell you how I would do it, just like the Cockatoo and Fu Manchu I got from DD today....... I like the "nothing but net" style. You barely hear the sploosh as I throw them in the tank from across the room.

Have you had a venomous fish before? I'm so excited to see someone on here get one of the gorgeous fish. They've had a lot of them lately. Oh YAY!

I like the QT because you can get them into perfect water immediately.

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second bag.
bag2.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if he is hungry.. Is he eating? I have seen fish do that before that are use to being hand fed..

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he isn't looking for food, this could be a sign of ammonia poisoning of oxygen depletion. Have you measured your qt water lately?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed food right in front of him still no Interest. Ammonia level fine per ammonia alert badge. Oxygenation I think is fine. Any other thoughts out there?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be absolutely certain, I would test ammonia with something more accurate or conventional. I've had mixed results with these badges. Also check Ph as that could also lead to this odd behavior. Also run some carbon to get rid of any toxins if there is any.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish is shipped the co2 a fish respirates cannot escape. This in turn causes the ph to drop. A ph below 6.5 renders ammonia harmless to the fish in the bag. When the bag is opened the co2 can now escape, the ph will now start to rise where ammonia becomes harmful again. A long acclimation exposes the fish to dangerous levels of ammonia for a longer period of time. Adding prime to the acclimation process cuts down on ammonia toxicity, or adding methylene blue makes oxygen more accessible to the fish.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be more clear. He is already in the QT tank he struggling. Is there any harm in adding prime to the QT tank that he is in. Acclimation was long over this morning.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure your oxygen is fine. I just add an airpump.

Also remember that you have it in there, should it come to treating this guy with medication.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back