Acclimation concern

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw my harlequin dos that as well upon arrival. Mine stayed at the surface for 2 days just swimming around and then got more comfortable.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input. I have checked all parameter and everything seems fine. Have added to airlines to the tank. I have read a lot of strange tusk behavior upon arrival. He has been with us in that tank for over 13 hours. I think he will be ok. Thanks again everyone!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nets to you have for dipping the lion out tomorrow? Sorry, off topic, but if there is a choice, there are some that are better than others.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nets to you have for dipping the lion out tomorrow? Sorry, off topic, but if there is a choice, there are some that are better than others.

Just want to make sure that I took your previous response correctly. So when the Mombasa comes tomorrow just scoop him out of his transport water and into the QT tank? I assume this is after temp acclimation.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do, but you gotta do what you feel most comfortable doing. It's not that acclimation isn't the way to go, because it is. Let me confuse you even more... the benefits you hear about acclimation are 100% true. So why don't I recommend it? I prioritize importance. Damage from ammonia can be permanent. This damage can greatly shorten their lives or kill them outright. Every healthy fish should be able to handle a little extra stress that would come about from an abrupt change in environments. Sure, this drastic change brings about stress, but on the flip-side, you'll be removing the stress that comes with burning of tissue from toxic substances. So, either way, stress will be present, one way just causes permanent damage.

Studies show that needed acclimation times cannot be measured in minutes or hours, but in days, weeks and months...... and sometimes never. So, we're not acclimating them at all and are just prolonging their time in nasty water for something that isn't going to happen anyways. I took four weeks acclimating my lion from his 28g home of 1.022 to the 210g of 1.026. That's because he was in good water, moving to good water. It wasn't causing him any stress to be where he was, which was his home for the past 2 years. Does that make sense what I'm trying to say? I'm choosing the lessor of two evils.

You are not going to be able to temp acclimate him. If your fish is packed anything like mine are, the bag will barely fit in a 5g bucket, to stand it upright. I sit the bag in there, because it's a lot of water, which makes it easier to tip over. As I cut away each layer of plastic, I clamp it to the side of the 5g bucket, so it can't slide down within. It's like an extra hand to hold open the bag with me. If that bag slips, you'll try to stop it... poke. If you lose your grip, you'll again try to catch it.... poke. Make sure you have the bag arranged so that you can get the net easily into and out of the bag. It will reduce the risk of entangling him in the material. Go with the coarse net. If you have different sizes, choose the one that fits inside the bag, even if it seems too small for the fish. I have "lionfish nets" and they cannot get stuck in, but with all other nets that is a risk. I've been there and it isn't fun.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do, but you gotta do what you feel most comfortable doing. It's not that acclimation isn't the way to go, because it is. Let me confuse you even more... the benefits you hear about acclimation are 100% true. So why don't I recommend it? I prioritize importance. Damage from ammonia can be permanent. This damage can greatly shorten their lives or kill them outright. Every healthy fish should be able to handle a little extra stress that would come about from an abrupt change in environments. Sure, this drastic change brings about stress, but on the flip-side, you'll be removing the stress that comes with burning of tissue from toxic substances. So, either way, stress will be present, one way just causes permanent damage.

Studies show that needed acclimation times cannot be measured in minutes or hours, but in days, weeks and months...... and sometimes never. So, we're not acclimating them at all and are just prolonging their time in nasty water for something that isn't going to happen anyways. I took four weeks acclimating my lion from his 28g home of 1.022 to the 210g of 1.026. That's because he was in good water, moving to good water. It wasn't causing him any stress to be where he was, which was his home for the past 2 years. Does that make sense what I'm trying to say? I'm choosing the lessor of two evils.

You are not going to be able to temp acclimate him. If your fish is packed anything like mine are, the bag will barely fit in a 5g bucket, to stand it upright. I sit the bag in there, because it's a lot of water, which makes it easier to tip over. As I cut away each layer of plastic, I clamp it to the side of the 5g bucket, so it can't slide down within. It's like an extra hand to hold open the bag with me. If that bag slips, you'll try to stop it... poke. If you lose your grip, you'll again try to catch it.... poke. Make sure you have the bag arranged so that you can get the net easily into and out of the bag. It will reduce the risk of entangling him in the material. Go with the coarse net. If you have different sizes, choose the one that fits inside the bag, even if it seems too small for the fish. I have "lionfish nets" and they cannot get stuck in, but with all other nets that is a risk. I've been there and it isn't fun.

Wow. I love this community. Thank you so much for sharing with me. I completely understand your argument and value your opinion.

He should arrive this morning about 9:30. I will be sure to update.

On another note the Harlequin is still there and looked to resting comfortably when I just snuck a look!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so hope you have a wonderful experience!

He is in. Got to leave for work know. Will dim the lights down and hope to find my buddy when in ship shape when I come home.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458138795.858592.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.. I really miss my lion fish, he had a 40 gallon corner tank all to himself.. Had to give him away during one of our many moves years ago.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nerve-racking leaving for work. Having a baby then just walk away for few hours.

And we wonder why "normal" people think we're crazy. LOL

Be sure to start a thread in the pred or fish section. All your observations are important as different people get fish with different personalities. I'll be training my fish right long side you! I usually don't feed for a couple of things, which is good because hubby literally boiled all the feeder shrimp the night before they arrived. I'm going to try the guppies I do have, first. Sometimes they take to it immediately, so you don't have to go though the steps of training.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice again. Perhaps Renee could chime in. The tusk last night swam around. When I got home from work the tusk was lying in a corner, but to my surprise the lion was snuggled up to him. I encouraged the lion away and sectioned off a third of the tank with egg crate to isolate the tusk. The tusk still looks fine all be it still. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reread that. I didn't mean for it to sound like I only wants Renees' opinion. I value everyone's! I am looking for anyone thoughts at all. Just took a super close look at the tusk and his side looks fine. I don't see any evidence of trauma.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back