Acclimation concern

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to feed him some live ghost shrimps? They usually go crazy over that.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a QT, right? What do you have in there for shelter/hiding? Both those critters actually like to snuggle up to objects and will be stressed without more. I very much doubt the lion stung the tusk, as he would not be perched on him after. These are very docile fish. There's a super easy way to tell if something has been stung or not, you need to look at the spines. At least one of them will be without the skin. Even if the flesh is missing, you cannot say for sure that he stung something, as there can be different reasons for that happening. Yet, if the skin is intact, you CAN say for sure, he did not sting anyone.

I can't answer to what the tusk is up to, as I've only owned one. Wrasse folks, any insights?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All spines are intact! There are sharing a 55 gallon QT with three sections of 4 " pvc. I didn't think the lion did anything but wanted some assurance. Both fish are from Diver's Den.

As far as the tusk, largely he has acted odd. Last night he started swimming around And exploring. Has not eaten yet and has been offered live ghost shrimp, Rod's predator blend and new life spectrum pellets.

I have been giving live aquaria daily updates on the tusk which they asked me to. They have agreed in everything including the acclimation and his living conditions and agreed to extend his guarantee out to 30 days. I thought it would be good to keep them in the loop in the event he expires.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I love DD. Ordering as many fish from them as I have, of course there have been issues. Yet, they always fixed everything.

Your wrasse just looked like a comfy place for the lion to sit. I had a volitans that would sit on my bubble coral no matter where I move it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. They have been great to work with to this point.

I have talked to several people and have been told that tusks can act very weird for several days and have read about behaviors similar to his. Part of me thinks that if he was going to die he would have. Today is his third day!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are crazy. I thought I would lose mine in the beginning, but he was only an inch long, so I didn't know if it was weird tusk behaviour, baby tusk behaviour, poor shipping tolerance, poor acclimation tolerance or illness.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

tusk900.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tusk is breathing 'regularly', not fast and not overstretching it's gills, and it is upright, even though it's on the bottom, it should be fine.

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the tusk but the wrasse I received in february would lay down in the corners of the tank and next to the PVC. He always looked like he had given up on life. I couldn't get him to eat pellets so i tried ROE. He went crazy for that then would go and lay back down. The fish is doing great in my DT now. Thought my fish's odd behavior might make you feel better with yours.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is ROE?

Roe is the mass of eggs contained in the ovaries of a female fish or shellfish, typically including the ovaries themselves. It is a great feed that stores and hobbyists use to get wild caught fish eating. It's also great for certain species of corals.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roe is the mass of eggs contained in the ovaries of a female fish or shellfish, typically including the ovaries themselves. It is a great feed that stores and hobbyists use to get wild caught fish eating. It's also great for certain species of corals.

What companies sell ROE?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well probably doesn't matter too much anyway for the tusk I think I have some pretty good news. Although I haven't directly witnessed him eat, I do believe he indeed is eating. Last night I drop some food in the tank and left the area for about half hour. I snuck back around and saw him picking the bottom of the tank. I believe he is picking up pieces of rods food.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back