Acclimation Discussion

TechnicallyFished

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as my name suggests, I'm all about the science, math, and application of the hobby. I have three personal systems (all smaller tanks as I am still a college student and thus no permanent place for a bigger system) and also work for an LFS in my area doing set-ups, take-downs, tank maintenance, etc.

I recently undertook the endeavor of helping my parents setup their first saltwater tank, and had the most aggravating experience of my fish-keeping life last night. But, first let me give you some information:

Tank Size: 75 Gallon
Tank Style: FOWLR
Sump: Eschopps (Maybe 25-30 gallon) trickle-style
Time-Running: 5 weeks, 2 days
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Ph: 8.1
SG: 1.020
Current Stock: Snowflake Moray Eel, Baby Porcupine Puffer (only holding for my LFS right now)

Right, so, yesterday evening I went over my parents house with a yellow tang, a purple tang, and a Magnificent Foxface Rabbitfish. They were all fish my parents had wanted, and were quite excited to get them in the tank. I floated the bags in the tank for about 30 minutes as I setup my acclimation station. I used a 5 gallon tank (one i normally use for this application), setup an air-stone and pump for oxygenation, and used two lengths of airline tubing as my drip-acclimation vehicles. I emptied the bags and water into the five gallon tank, and began the process of acclimation which I did over about a 1.5 hour period.

Unfortunately, about half-way through this process (around 30-45 mark) I notice the foxface was really stressing out quite badly - to the point where he was laying on his side and laboriously breathing. I knew this was normal during acclimation so I didn't pay it that much mind as he was still moving every so often. At about an hour, things took a turn for the worse and the foxface looked really bad. It was also at this point I noticed the tangs picking at him, so I took him and moved him into the main display tank (thinking if he was away from the tangs for a while it'd be better). He sunk right to the bottom of the tank in acclimation shock and died about 30 minutes later (at which point I put in the tangs who are, as of right now, doing great).

This was an especially awful experience for me because I can't pinpoint exactly what I could have done wrong. I followed all the procedures I had known to be successful, and yet still came out with a dead fish. SO, I came here hoping to see if anyone may have future suggestions for me, or to see if people may have an idea as to what went wrong (if anything).

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR: When acclimating my Magnificent Foxface, he went into acclimation shock and died despite all my best efforts and preparation.

OP
OP
TechnicallyFished

TechnicallyFished

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why'd you drip them for an hour and a half? what salinity did they come from?
My LFS keeps their system quite hypo-saline (at about 1.013-1.015) to keep chance of parasitic infection down. I usually acclimate for about an hour because of that but tangs are more finicky and susceptible to parameter changes so I added a little more time.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 0.005 to 0.007 jump up in salinity is quite a lot - I suspect osmotic shock was the cause here.

A safe rule of thumb is to not increase salinity by more than 0.002 in a 24 hour period.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any other reasons or analysis for this situation or "In general, what are the other reasons for Rabbitfish to get stressed and how to - ease a new small Rabbitfish?

I bought a 2-inch petite rabbitfish (Blueline Rabbitfish) and put in the main tank with few big fish (none super aggressive) - I did so because I was adding 5 other fishes that were QT already and ready to move to main tank ... I thought going in together be better and the lil fela will get good established tank ... however last night/ first night he stayed in top corner camouflaged and did not come to main portion of tank at all ...

I moved him into QT and he is still lying in a corner - not moving, not a ll eatin ...

Pls. advise your thoughts and next steps?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll float bags for 15-20min tops, and drip acclimate for 30-45min max. I tend to agree that the large difference in salinity, long acclimation time and potential temperature difference were all contributing factors.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see.

Any suggestions on what to do now so the rabbitfiah in QT alone resumes activity and eating?

He is not dead but 3ven with lights on sits in 1 corner on floor with his colors camouflaged.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to think it could well be osmotic shock from the raise in salinity but im finding it hard to believe when the other two fish, being tangs too, are fine. Rabbitfish are often pretty hardy when it comes to this sort of thing so i wouldnt expect it to be the first to show sings if any at all. Its a quick raise in salinity, but one lots do actually do without any huge issues. Plenty shops run at that low mark for those reasons.

Completely irrelevant to your question but id also wonder how you cycled the tank? Zero nitrate with an Eel and Porcupine puffer in a 5 week old tank is pretty unusual, especially in such a small tank.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.

Any suggestions on what to do now so the rabbitfiah in QT alone resumes activity and eating?

He is not dead but 3ven with lights on sits in 1 corner on floor with his colors camouflaged.
You are better off starting your own thread with your question - I think you are getting replies for this thread mistaken for your question.

If the rabbitfish is breathing as expected but simply in a corner in camouflage mode then it needs to be left to settle. They are extremely skittish fish for the most part. Ensure you have plenty of hiding places for it to get out of site and leave it be for a few days to settle. Keep your hands out the tank and stay away where possible.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back