OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to even see the overflow from the front, because SC build the aquarium with smoke glass ob the rear panel.
IMG_20160904_112232215.jpg
IMG_20160904_112217729.jpg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to test, started filling external overflow with water, looking good, just a drip from when the test pipes are placed in the bulkhead on the fliw of the external overflow - in the final configuration the real pcv will be glued to bulkheads, so wont be a problem.

However, as water started to flow into the internal overflow about 1/2 full i spung a leak.

IMG_20160904_112817362.jpg

NOoooo.....

Texted my acrylic guy. I think it should be a pretty easy fix with Weldon. But not sure.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man you are just having problem after problem aren't you lol. I am glad to see it is moving along even with all the issues though:)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang dude that stinks, at least it's leaking on the internal box and not external

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been to Davids ( custom Acrylic) and back he called me back pretty quickly and apologized. As soon as he read my text he realized that he had forgotten to do a final seal on my stuff. He has some pretty cool equipment to apply acrylic glue. This thing looks like a giant hot glue gun , used a special type of glue cartridge. So, while i waited, he did the "sealing". So retest coming soon.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok test#2.

IMG_20160904_170721884.jpg

Yes, all internal and external boxes sealed. However, as u can see , leaking from the bulkheads. Darn. Drat, etc. Using 9 total caskets when i took that picture. The only place i did not put a casket was between the back of internal box and the tank glass. So, a scrounged three more caskets from the sump and fuge bulkheads.

IMG_20160904_191408119.jpg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sweet smell of success!! Wow, 12 caskets. Does anybody know where i can buy just caskets without bulkheads.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - just reread the recent posts. The typos are pretty funny - "caskets" should be gaskets. Although , maybe casket is what i need - this project is killing me.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm coming over now that the hard work is over. That and I have 100+ pounds of sand in the car for you.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - I will let you call/text me when you are available - Hope your feeling better.

And much labor still required. This is the next weeks agenda:

First I have to complete all the gluing in the downstairs plumbing together - that was what was scheduled Sunday. I have to finish installing the sump filter sock holder as well. Then - get salt water , sand in refugium, skimmer in sump, in the system and run it with a Mag 9 and 5 moving water thru it - until it settles down - 2-3 days I would think . Then start transferring live rock and a fish or 2 for a week only - no lights yet as they are still required by corals in the 2 tanks that are currently running . .

Also, the main display tank is filled in the garage only - this week just let it sit full as a Test while I work on the downstairs area. Then will use a Large lined garbage can placed behind it fill with water and and put a few pumps in it - pumping water into tank to test the overflow system and see what the water level will be when I am pushing 1200 gallons of water thru it. When I am satisfied with that - I will mark the water level again, then install the canopy inside wood strips that hold the canopy in place at the desired level. Then I will have to cut/modify the bottom back portion of the canopy to allow for the external overflow and the plumbing from the return pump - could really use your help on this Jamie with your carpentry experience.

By this time the downstairs sump/fuge area should be ready for more livestock - so will transfer the rest of the rock/livestock and lights to that area.

After that - then pump all the water out of the tanks (40 cube downstairs, the 65 display in the living room, and the 150 in the garage) . Then move the 65 out of the living room and get it to Rob. Move the 40 cube over t0 the sump/fuge area as it will now be my quarantine tank. Then start figuring out the "fun" part of exactly where/how to get the plumbing from upstairs to downstairs - have a general plan.

Then finally move the new 150 tank from garage to living room and fill with new salt water, sand ( maybe going bare bottom - not sure yet) and connect the plumbing.

I think we are finally ready to start the Reeflo pump downstairs and open valves .

Last edited:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, wasn't getting notifications for this!

Looks good so far Ted! Anything new to report?

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today , today - my other hobby = Golf was talking up a lot of my time. But last weekend was the "big" tournament. So, after catching up at work and recovering form the weekend trip - today and tomorrow I will be updating the thread.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok , got the last sump and fuge baffle configurations set up. Ready for silicone tomorrow.

IMG_20160921_194141917.jpg

IMG_20160921_194317215.jpg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- tested sump and filter sock holder and water will fill the sock in the sump up to about 1/4 inch from the top before going over the final baffle and on to the refugium. This will make the socks work silently with very little stress on them or the sock holder.

2016-09-28 18.59.08.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Let me know when you want me to come over and help you with the canopy. We can do it sometime while Sierra is at work.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back