OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, full fill and three day test on the overflow system in garage, no leaks and waterline remained 1 3/8 inch from top of tank.

Question for those experienced:

Post pump plumbing up to main floor. To regulate the flow- what works best, that will also seal 100%, so water can be stopped from traveling down plumbing from display= true union gate valve or a true union ball valve? Obviously the gate valve is easier to control flow, but i have read they leak.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good enough, since no one else chimed in - I have both- so I will go with the gate valve. Tomorrow I test the plumbing from the refugium to the pump. If all OK, then will begin cycling salt water thru the sump and refugium with a mag 9.5. Add live sand to the bottom of the refugium for a 2.5 inch bottom. Slowing begin transferring live rock and live stock out of the current systems into the refugium over the next 2 weeks.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Sump and refugium are in place and water is running thru the plumbing ... YES!!! However, when trying the plumbing I noticed the Reeflo Barracuda was leaking in the seam of the new volute. SO , taking volute off and re-tightening again. Hopefully it wont leak.

Pics coming soon.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, haven't been getting any notifications on this Ted.

As for the valve I'd go with a gate valve, will it spring a slight leak when adjusting? Yes, but very slightly, just have a towel on hand it will come out by the screw that holds the handle on.

Great to hear that it's got water flowing thru it's veins!

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pics of sump and fuge. Salinity is at 2.023 temp is 79.

IMG_20161016_173740820.jpg

IMG_20161016_173719765.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, looking good. You do realize that 2.023 might be a bit high. I know that you know, but why the salinity? I will bring your food over Friday morning and we will fit the hood and anything else you want to accomplish before 2.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost that small perc clown. But no other losses. Transfered several small corals into new tanks today. The Acans, Zoa's, and fungia corals all look good. Also moved a superman monti that i thought I had lost ( slid over back edge) and a piece of broken Birdsnest over. If the sps do ok, then i think i am good to move more. Ammonia was zero. And Nitrates were just a trace.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is coming along nicely!

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- evaporating water quickly in the basement ( 3 -4 gallons in 24 hours) so need to make/find covers for the tanks. Any ideas people.

First tank ( 40 breeder) with the filer socks and skimmer should be an acrylic cover = does not have to let any light in at all - 1/4 inch acrylic in a few pieces to fit around the skimmer should do the trick - can use "weldon" to glue acrylic handles on the pieces for easy on and off, and can cut holes in it when the plumbing form upstairs is complete. The 75 ( second tank) is going to be harder as I need light for coral now and will need light for the macroalgae later when it is just a refugium.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress on mixing station.

IMG_20161030_174337272.jpg

Some corals moved from current tank to downstairs temporary home.

IMG_20161030_174402967_HDR.jpg

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming along nicely:) can't wait to see it all finished, I bet you can't wait more though lol. You can do what I did for the biocube and just cut some acrylic to fit. I used thin crap from HD and I have to flip it every few days because it bows, but I know @eleet has had thicker acrylic cut, I just don't remember who she had do it:p

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep - I am using that same cheapo HD acrylic now on 1/2 of the 75 tank. I will have to change that though. I am hoping to cut the cheapo stuff so it fits around the Skimmer in 1/2 of the 40 gallon sump - use same type of cheap acrylic on the other side of the 40 sump with holes cut for the drains from the upstairs 150. Then use "better" covers on the 75 gallon like glass so Macro gets enough light = cheapo LED lamps sitting on the glass covers. All I intend ( famous last words) to do in the basement once this system is up and running is: once a week skimmer clean and 20 gallon water change, once a month macro thinning, and that's about it.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 24" hinged glass covers at work that would fit the 75, still have that coupon I gave you? If not I think I have another and can pick them up for you before the next meeting.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nevermind, after looking again the standard glass tops wouldn't work with the plumbing on the side... Unless you got a shorter one, but then you would still have more evaporation then if it was completely covered.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back