Acer new 150 build

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not feel embarrassed if I were you. Every tank is different in many ways including differing bio life. Maybe since this tank is so large and you starting it with dry rock it just hasn't had time to create as much or as diversified bio life as you have had in the past. Who knows, on down the road you can experiment with an SPS piece or two and see how they do. Anyway, enjoy what the tank has to offer for now. Its a beautiful display of ocean reef beauty!

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dawn- you are very kind and encouraging my friend - thanks. Yep - that's the plan- going up to Cleveland for the Frankenstein frag swap on 10/26 - have a few frags reserved - one SPS = green slimer - which used to be a coral that I couldn't kill. LOL - so well see. Started retesting my water again after taking a few months off of doing just minimal water changes.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*******************UPDATE **************
Well about 2 months ago I dropped my G2 Xr30 ( upgraded to a G3 3 years ago) into my tank while cleaning my canopy and it fried bad. A friend lent me a basic SB light until I coudl get a replacement.

I did order a new wifi SB extreme 18" light about 6 weeks ago, after several weeks I did a return order via Paypal and got my money back, because I never heard from them - even though told me the light was "in stock" in California. So, I continued limping along on the original old SB basic light on the one side and the old Reefbreeeder 24 on the other side. Have been shopping ever since. It seems to come down to this: Spend the $1500 -$2000 for high end lights like the Radions or go cheap as there does not seem to be much in the middle. Spend quite a bit of time trying to like the New Noopsyche K7's - but at 95 watt max (all 7 channels running 100% - so realistically that would be closer to 60-70 watts unless you want the tank to look yellow) they are under powered for a 24 in front to back and 24 inch deep tank - several T5's would be necessary. The Noop's are ON sale now so if I got 4 of them it would be under $600 -but not so sure they would really light my tank for SPS corals well or not -even with 2 x 48 " T5 retro bulbs running the length of the tank.

Due to the shopping/light emergency I have not been testing the tank- so finally got to it today and my phosphates are way up= .25 ( tested twice) , yes point 25 ( not .025) as in my Hanna URL phosphate checker read 81 - that would explain why the frags I got at the latest fragswap in Cleveland did not do well.
Other test : Salifert Ca+ =440, Hanna Alk checker = 8.7, Salifert nitrate = trace ( under 2 but not zero).

SO, I dumped out the dual media reactor ( carbon and GFO), because obviously the GFO was expired in spite of it only being about a month old and then filled both reactors with new GFO. Will be doing a 15 gallon water change today as well. Retest PO4 tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the friend that lent me her SB original Basic light fixture had 2 more - both unopened and they sold them to me for a good price. So, here is the plan: one SB basic fixture on each side of the Reefbreeder 24 fixture I currently have - I will orient the SB basics from front to back, then Reefbreeder 24 in the middle of the tank oriented normally ( side to side). Then, I will place one 24" T5 blue bulb in front and 1 behind of the Reefbreeder fixture to help with shadowing and overall color of the tank lights. I may pick up a new Reefbreeder 24 V2+ to replace my old Reefbreeder. I will put up some Par values with this lighting scheme to see if that is necessary or not.

Timing: Ramping up the blue Reefbreeder channel starting at 8AM ( 1 hour ramp up) , 9 AM T5's come on and the White Reefbreeder channel lights starts ramping up ( 1 hour ramp up) , 10 AM both SB blue channels turn on, 11 AM both SB white channels turn on. So - from 11AM till 6PM all lights are o 7 hour coral growth period. At 6 PM T5's turn off, at 6:30 Reefbreeder White's begin to ramp down ( 90 minute ramp down) , 7 pm white SB channel turns off, 7:30 SB blue channels turns off and Reefbreeder blue channel begins to ramp down ( 2 hour ramp down) so by 7:30 the only lights that are on is about 33% of the Reefbreeder white channel and 100% of the Reefbreeder blue and by 8 pm only Reefbreeder blue at about 33% , 9 pm on lights are off except a 10% Reefbreeder blue channel as a moon light. I obviously need to buy a few more timers. LOL

I really like the way the tank looks with just blue lights for 30 - 45 minutes at the end of the day- the corals and fish really "pop". I know its an unrealistic look - but it also shows if a coral is not doing well = no "pop".

Update on the PO4 situation - after 24 hours of using my Dual BRS reactor with both sides loaded with new GFO - my PO4 went from .25 to .09 = yeah. Do not really know how it got so high to begin with. A bit of slacking on water changes and not changing the GFO as regularly as I thought, I suspect. Of course not tresting for nearly 2 months during my light crisis may be part of it - Ohh Ya.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New lights installed.

IMG_20191202_182018503.jpg

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Lights are definitely making a difference- my one surviving SPS= a purple monti , picked up at the Cleveland swap 3-4 weeks ago, it still has PE - yeah!! Also - a friend came over and we tested and tested by system with his tests kits- all agreed with mine and my parameters are pretty good - with Alk beign a bit high at 9.0, NO3= between 1-2, PO4 at .08 , Ca= is around 450. He has a PAR meter as well- I will post those results this weekend as its amazing how 1-2 inches one way or the other makes a huge par difference. The biggest thing he thought of was checking my salinity - and sure enough, it was low= 1.022. So after rumaging through my reef euipment drawers I found some pinpoint calibration solution for salinity and yep- my refractometer was off and it needed recalibration. Lesson learned!! It took about a week of doing no water changes and adding salt to my top off reservoir to get my salinity up to 1.026 again.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the low salinity, due to not calibrating my refractometer, was my entire issue 2018 and nearly all of 2019. The Monti cap, that I thought was dead, is now coming back and has an orange color again. The one remaining monti I had = a "sunset" is now growing again and has more orange color than before. The purple branching "digi", that I picked up a few months ago at the Cleveland swap, not only has great hairy polyp extention but has actually visually grown - I almost forgot was that was like. So, I will actually have to start dosing again as corals will now be uptaking Alk, Mg, Ca as they should.

Today's testing parameters:

Ph probe = 8.0
Tested both Hanna and Salifert Alk= 7.3 DKH
Tested both Salifert and Red Sea Pro No3= between 2-4
Hanna ULR PO3 = 30PPB phosphorus = 0.092ppm phosphate
Salifert CA+= 440
Salifert Mg+= 1440
Salinity = 1.026 ( yes, I have had to re-calibrate this stupid refractometer each and every time- so maybe going digital)

******************* lesson = check and re-calibrate refractometer regularly****************************

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to love this hobby - after posting a few days ago that everything is finally going well. I arrive home last night and my Hammerhead pump is making a high pitched whining sound. After reading a bit it sounds like it needs new bearings - blahh.. I had purchased a never used but new Skimz leopard L110 recently after looking up on the website that it has the same exact 1.5 inch input and outputs as my hammerhead. Figured better safe than sorry and it would be a great backup. SO, I am thinking- hey for once I am ready for this "emergency". So I grab the still in box new Skimz pump and take it out of the box and take a look at it and the input/output look too small - sure enough they are NOT 1.5 inch, but 1.25. So, the 100thousand dollar question. Should I replumb from this new pump to the display tank up a floor with new flexible 1.25 PVC ( $50 plus time and work) or just use a 1.5 -1.25 adapter by the pump and continue to use the 1.5 inch flexible PVC already in place? Opinions??

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats my vote as well = It will be interesting to see what type of flow I get and how long the pump lasts.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my replacement /backup Scimz Leopard L110 pump up and running after changing my plumbing to accommodate it. It is blessedly silent compared to my hammerhead, but its pathetic at pushing water compared to the Hammerhead. Will be taking apart both damaged/disabled hammerheads in my garage this weekend. I did find this pump today:

Just more food for thought.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after doing quite a bit of research it seems that no real progress has been made in pumps regarding higher head pressure in the past 5 years. The under $1000 DC pumps cannot handle my 13 feet of head pressure without starving the 150 gallon display tank of fresh water and good flow from the basement sump. The best A/C options are the Reeflo ( Hammerhead) = $400-500 or a large Iwaki - but are pretty loud and I have gone thru two Hammerheads in 5 years = both maybe fixable/serviceable - but I am not real handy. So, the next option is the Red Dragon or Abyzz pumps - the wallet will be screaming for mercy.

So , I guess a poll question . I have gotten the "OK" from the family accountant ( yep - the wife) to spend up to $2k on a new pump. I am very surprized - but I think she knows I am pretty frugal usually on the reef stuff buying used if at all possible. So-

#1 = Abyzz A200 = $1900 https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a200-dc-controllable-pump-4-400-gph-abyzz.html

#2= Abyzz A100= $1500 https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-...30-watt-6-340-gph-royal-exclusiv-usa-llc.html

**** Abyzz = 10 year warranty

#3= Red Dragon Speedy 3 230watt= $1350 https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-...30-watt-6-340-gph-royal-exclusiv-usa-llc.html

**** Red Dragon/Royal Exclusive = 2 year warranty.

Opinions and comments welcomed

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyss ten year warranty can’t be beat spend 150 or 550 dollars more for eight years of warranty that’s worth it to me

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided on just getting a new Reeflo hybrid gold for $400 ( 5 year warranty) - BRS had an open box and it was ordered last week. I am sending in my other pump back to Reeflo and for $165 they will put new seals, and fix anything else ( bearings) and ship it back to me so I will have an exact backup pump ready to go. According to them I will be able to ship my pump to them for less than $50 and since my new hammerhead hybrid gold pump was just delivered I now have a perfect box with exact packing so I can do that.

I just could not justify the near 2K cost of an Abyzz A200 or Royal exclusive MINI 230 watt pump. Yes, the reduced volume would be nice , and the DC control of those pumps would be real nice- but I can buy a lot of fish/coral/etc. with $1000-1400. The new pump gets installed today - I changed to the Barracuda impeller yesterday - maybe that will be less pump volume. I will keep you updated if the barracuda is indeed less noisy and if it can push the volume of water I want = 1500- 2000 GPH up the 11-12 feet vertical lift with a few turns ( total head pressure is about 14 -15) from the basement or not. According to Reeflo charts it should be no problem.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just introduced my female Blue Throat trigger to the main display. The male is "very interested". Maybe too much.

Attachments

• VID_20200220_124814324.mp4
    51.7 MB
OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24 hours the Blue Throat Triggers are now getting along fine. There is a few bite marks in the new triggers fins - but nothing that is terrible and she is eating fine so expect she will recover quickly. Next fish is a Copperbanded Butterfly ( third attempt) on hold up at Reef Gallery - best QT methods, meds, practices, and helpful hints welcome. The new Reeflo gold hybrid pump with the barracuda impeller is working perfectly. I will be picking up several frags at LEAR fragswap on Saturday - nothing expensive as I am gun shy after killing numerous frags in the past 18 months. Still have not purchased any additional lights - limping along with the old Reefbreeeder 24 in the center of the tank , 2 x SB basics running perpendicular on the sides, and 2 x24 T5's (one on each side of the Reefbreeder fixture). I have missed out on a few used G4 fixtures and the new on sale G4's are all gone- so still hunting for the best deal and fix I can get.

Options for lights ( max budget is $1000) :

1) Reefbreeders v2+ 50 inch fixure ( $720) or 2 x 24 inch fixtures ( 2 x $400 = $800) running lengthwise.
If par/pur is not up to the needed SPS values then Ii will supplement with T5's running parellel to the fixtures.

2) Continue using the 2 SB black boxes running perpendicular (on the outside quarter on each side) of the tank and just replace the older T5 and old Reefbreeder 24 with:

a) 2 x used G4 xr30's placed perpendicular each about 9 inches from the center of the tank ( 18 inches apart)
b) 2 x used G4 XR30 pros running lengthwise ( plenty of par ,but possible shadowing - so may still need T5's)
c) 3 or 4 used G4 Xr15 or Xr15 pro's
d) 3 x Noopsynche K7pro II's ( 90 watts each for a total of $500) run perpendicular.

Any other suggestions on lights?

Last edited:

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24 hours the Blue Throat Triggers are now getting along fine. There is a few bite marks in the new triggers fins - but nothing that is terrible and she is eating fine so expect she will recover quickly. Next fish is a Copperbanded Butterfly ( third attempt) on hold up at Reef Gallery - best QT methods, meds, practices, and helpful hints welcome. The new Reeflo gold hybrid pump with the barracuda impeller is working perfectly. I will be picking up several frags at LEAR fragswap on Saturday - nothing expensive as I am gun shy after killing numerous frags in the past 18 months. Still have not purchased any additional lights - limping along with the old Reefbreeeder 24 in the center of the tank , 2 x SB basics running perpendicular on the sides, and 2 x24 T5's (one on each side of the Reefbreeder fixture). I have missed out on a few used G4 fixtures and the new on sale G4's are all gone- so still hunting for the best deal and fix I can get.

Options for lights ( max budget is $1000) :

1) Reefbreeders v2+ 50 inch fixure ( $720) or 2 x 24 inch fixtures ( 2 x $400 = $800) running lengthwise.
If par/pur is not up to the needed SPS values then Ii will supplement with T5's running parellel to the fixtures.

2) Continue using the 2 SB black boxes running perpendicular (on the outside quarter on each side) of the tank and just replace the older T5 and old Reefbreeder 24 with:

a) 2 x used G4 xr30's placed perpendicular each about 9 inches from the center of the tank ( 18 inches apart)
b) 2 x used G4 XR30 pros running lengthwise ( plenty of par ,but possible shadowing - so may still need T5's)
c) 3 or 4 used G4 Xr15 or Xr15 pro's

Any other suggestions on lights?
The Red Sea ReefLeds are nice I got the 50 watts and they’re doing a fine job on my 65g. The 90s are somewhere around 350 a pop and the 50s are 220$

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back