OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like his right eye is clouding up. That’s not good. Indications of secondary bacterial infection. If it develops into a case of pop eye it’s going to require special treatment. But deal with the ich first.
The right eye has a small scratch on it which I believe is leading to the cloudiness

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right eye has a small scratch on it which I believe is leading to the cloudiness
That small scratch needs to be watched for possible infection. If the eye starts to bulge, that’s pop eye. That’s an infection and needs to be addressed or the fish could lose the eye.

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small scratch needs to be watched for possible infection. If the eye starts to bulge, that’s pop eye. That’s an infection and needs to be addressed or the fish could lose the eye.
I have some epsom salt on hand that I have used to treat Popeye before

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some epsom salt on hand that I have used to treat Popeye before
Epsom salts in the water is a freshwater treatment that people mistakenly applied to marine fish….magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our mixes, so adding a bit more just raises the salinity a bit….
Many cases of Popeyes involving just one eye heal on their own. I sometimes suggest erythromycin, but I suspect that in many cases, the fish would have gotten better without treatment ….
Jay

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts in the water is a freshwater treatment that people mistakenly applied to marine fish….magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our mixes, so adding a bit more just raises the salinity a bit….
Many cases of Popeyes involving just one eye heal on their own. I sometimes suggest erythromycin, but I suspect that in many cases, the fish would have gotten better without treatment ….
Jay
Haha thanks for that information! I knew MgSO4 was a salt but didn’t put 2 and 2 together.

Achilles is eating pellets still so I’ll keep an eye out for now. Hopefully breathing improves

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles showing signs of ich again. Adding copper in again slowly and buying a Hanna copper test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles showing signs of ich again. Adding copper in again slowly and buying a Hanna copper test kit
Ugh. Don’t add the copper too slowly, you need to get to a full dose in 24 to 36 hours.
Jay

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change and Brought copper levels up to 2.36 from 1.96 (measured with Hanna checker).

tang breathing hard now and not eating. Im at a loss of what to do now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change and Brought copper levels up to 2.36 from 1.96 (measured with Hanna checker).

tang breathing hard now and not eating. Im at a loss of what to do now
Which copper are you using?
Does the tang show any ich spots now?

Jay

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Don’t add the copper too slowly, you need to get to a full dose in 24 to 36 hours.
Jay
Using copper power. No signs of ich. It’s weird. Gonna try and bring the copper level down to 2, which is where it was going fine prior

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using copper power. No signs of ich. It’s weird. Gonna try and bring the copper level down to 2, which is where it was going fine prior
Copper Power isn’t going to be an issue here, as long as the dose is less than 2.5 ppm. I just saw you are using the API copper test? I have had a lot of reports of difficulty getting good readings from these. I use a spectrophometer to read when I test, so I can’t say which direction the misreading tends to go for people….what if it is reading low for you?

Jay

OP
OP
76fishman

76fishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power isn’t going to be an issue here, as long as the dose is less than 2.5 ppm. I just saw you are using the API copper test? I have had a lot of reports of difficulty getting good readings from these. I use a spectrophometer to read when I test, so I can’t say which direction the misreading tends to go for people….what if it is reading low for you?

Jay
Used the Hanna checker and reading was 2.36. Not sure if the Achilles is having and adverse reaction to the cooper. But now attempting to bring concentration down to ~2 ppm since it was doing ok at 1.96 ppm

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back