Achilles tang in LFS

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sea_forest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
A glimpse of hope, the AT started picking on the nori rubber banded to a small rock and picking up food from the tank floor. If he kept on eating in the next few days, will start the copper treatment.
 
Last edited:
Nothing comes to rushing they am say in this hobby. I think you are looking for people to give you advice against your better judgement.

Healthy fish eat. All my fish eat right after getting them from lfs or after shipping.
 
Sorry I missed that you picked it up. Wish you best of luck.
 
I usually do prophylactic treatment with my tangs but maybe I will try to wait until it is well adjusted or maybe I will totally skip the copper.

Thank you for all your insights!
 
A glimpse of hope, the AT started picking on the nori rubber band to a small rock and picking up food from the tank floor. If he kept on eating in the next few days, will start the copper treatment.

Try dipping your food in garlic to entice it to eat.


If he’s eating and not showing signs of disease why do copper?

Just do observation and maybe praxis or something.

Fish can carry ich, velvet, or other diseases regardless of how they're looking or eating. I had to learn the hard way, its one of those things that are fine until they aren't. Then suddenly you lose everything but a desire to quit the hobby. Always qt fish and dip your coral.
 
I usually do prophylactic treatment with my tangs but maybe I will try to wait until it is well adjusted or maybe I will totally skip the copper.

Thank you for all your insights!
Agree with you waiting to fatten up and adjust before treating. I don’t like to use copper but as others say you can observe for months and everything is ok until it’s not.
 
I agree, I never treat prophylactically. Achilles will ‘tell you’ if it has ich. Get it eating well for a while. Garlic does nothing.
 
Prophalactic copper is really a bad deal.
Indeed. Copper is toxic.
Ich isn’t the end of the world anyways (velvet is however). A healthy Achilles in a good environment will kick ich no problem.
However, if you’ve long since eradicated ich in your DT it could potentially become a problem since the other inhabitants will have lost all resistance that they once might have had.


Personally I would fatten it up in QT and observe for any signs of disease and if that happens decide treatment.
 
Here is the AT, picking on the nori.

77B21ED3-8512-40DB-BABB-353F31C3B924.jpeg
F859C7CA-0907-4254-AAC9-19C5BEA3A846.jpeg
4207AD16-86B9-4981-8E49-DF621BE2BA00.jpeg
 
Last edited:
is he nibbling on anything else, if you can get some live macro that would be a plus. Many picky eaters will take to live black worms, and that's a great source of protein.
 
Beautiful fish, good luck. Following along :)
 
is he nibbling on anything else, if you can get some live macro that would be a plus. Many picky eaters will take to live black worms, and that's a great source of protein.
It actually eats the nori, but not much as I am hoping for, but at least it is eating now. I do put live baby brine shrimp and/or live black worms, so far no luck. I am also trying the spirulina brine and mysis.
 
Last edited:
A glimpse of hope, the AT started picking on the nori rubber banded to a small rock and picking up food from the tank floor. If he kept on eating in the next few days, will start the copper treatment.
That’s how mine began and now does not miss a meal
 
You don't want ich in your display tank especially for an Achilles. I don't do copper myself. I only do TTM with prazipro depending on fish. Has worked great for me. Have you tried LRS? LRS has a good strong smell compared to many other frozen food.
 
You don't want ich in your display tank especially for an Achilles. I don't do copper myself. I only do TTM with prazipro depending on fish. Has worked great for me. Have you tried LRS? LRS has a good strong smell compared to many other frozen food.
I haven’t tried LRS yet. I might grab one this weekend when I go to the LFS in the city. So far the tang have been eating the nori ( rubber banded to a small rock plus the one in the clip).
Thanks for the suggestion.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new