Achilles Tang

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@Squidward It would seem like TTM has its detractors: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-stop-using-ttm-its-barbaric.326254/

The last page of that thread would be pertinent given they're discussing fish immunity to ich etc.

'Never seen ich' in 7 months? That's great, but that's not what I'd call a very large sample size. What I'm saying is that this stuff can exist in its cyst state for a long period of time undetected whether its in the substrate, rock whatever. Unless you can run a test categorically saying its not in your system then I don't really believe it. But that's the beauty of this all. You're doing what you're doing and it's working for you as am I which is why its fine to disagree on this. Lots of different ways to build a reef. Now, I feel like we've hijacked this tread enough. I'd like to see more pics of happy healthy Achilles Tangs.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squidward It would seem like TTM has its detractors: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/please-stop-using-ttm-its-barbaric.326254/

'Never seen ich' in 7 months? That's great, but that's not what I'd call a very large sample size. What I'm saying is that this stuff can exist in its cyst state for a long period of time undetected whether its in the substrate, rock whatever. Unless you can run a test categorically saying its not in your system then I don't really believe it. But that's the beauty of this all. You're doing what you're doing and it's working for you as am I which is why its fine to disagree on this. Lots of different ways to build a reef. Now, I feel like we've hijacked this tread enough. I'd like to see more pics of happy healthy Achilles Tangs.
So you think I was careless enough that I let ich come into my system without me knowing it? I have 3 of the most ich magnet fish out there. And none have ever shown to have ich. And nyaquatic is just an idiot. He gave no real legit answers to his argument. It came down to the size of the qurantine which he eventually left the conversation.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to surely see that nyaquatics is being a bit cynical. He wants people to keep the fish's stress at a minimum to pass the 14 day guarantee that he himself offers.

First he stands on a high horse talking about the tenets and its highly stressful for the fish. But we are taking it out of the ocean, putting them in some facility, shipping them around the world keeping them in his facility. Charging outrageous prices on them and then shipping them to his customers. But oh no it's the ttm that gets them.

He talks about putting fish in a tank that is going trough cycling but doesn't mention you will likely take the fish out before ammonia levels rises. Minimal feeding will keep ammonia from every registering. Ask him if they fed his fish before they ship it to him. They don't. Less poop in the bag, less ammonia. Same concept.

I agree with his 3rd point but again. But Really. Really. It's like a drug dealer shaming his buyers.

You can dose treatments while doing ttm.

I agree with the cost of doing 2 of everything. Plus cost of salt.

But ttm is an option. That the bottom line.

I get were he is coming from. I truly do. I see the business side of it.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gem and Purple with my Achilles and they do fine. Gem was the smallest and last of tangs. Gem are pretty bold fish as well from my experience. They don't back down easily. The king of my tank however is my male masked swallowtail. I think that helps also having a dominant fish that isn't a Tang. Doesn't allow any of the tangs to actually take over the tank.
Totally agree! I have purple, yellow and powder blue tang which are 4-5 in in my DT. So I decided to add a 2 inch gem tang, the purple tang kept attacking him but the tiny little gem tang never backed down. Even after a chase a all torn fins, he would swim towards the purple tang like come chase me.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 150 gallon mixed reef tank around 5 months ago. I’m thinking that later down the road I’d like to add an Achilles tang. I’m aware that this requires an environment completely rid of ich and strict quarantine procedure; ich management just won’t cut it. Currently I have some damsels, anthias, gobies, and wrasses in the tank which were not quarantined. Being that none of the prior fish were quarantined, what are the chances that ich is in my system. Further how would you go about adding an Achilles. Do I need to go fishless and treat all the fish with copper or is the fact that I haven’t had an ich outbreak enough to say that there’s no ich in the tank.
If you haven’t added fish in in the last 30 days and there is know signs of ick you really have to look close and observe then you might be good

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t added fish in in the last 30 days and there is know signs of ick you really have to look close and observe then you might be good
I have one now that I got over 8 months ago he came in huge way too big for my 29 gallon quarantine tank so had to put him right in .Got lucky he did not have it but all fish before him where quarantine for at least a month.He would not eat a thing for 5 weeks thought he was going to die but then in week 6 started to take brine shrimp and nori now he will eat anything and not aggressive.Its a crap shoot had one a while back that got ick and died Also a friend had one for years and he never quarantine and never added fish after he got him but 3 years later he died from ick it was in tank and it took stress to bring it out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back