ACI Kalkwasser Method.... I've watched this video and read a few articles, still not sure the exact method.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method seems to be ideal for systems that already have a high alk consumption rate.

For example, in one of my tanks, I have 0.5dkh/day consumption rate based on how much 2 part I dose. However, if I dosed saturated kalk based on my evaporation rate, my daily alk addition would be 1.3 dkh. Over the span of 1 week, holding all things constant, my alkalinity would have increased 5.6 dkh and in a month by 22.4dkh.

Unless the elevated ph triggers a near immediate ramp up in alkalinity consumption by my corals, I would be reaching alkalinity levels that most would consider tank suicide.

Perhaps a more disciplined way to approach this is to 1st dose at night to elevate your ph but making sure it won't exceed your daily alk consumption. Then over time when there is a compounding effect where slightly elevated ph increased alk consumption, then you increase your kalk dosing at night until you reach parity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method seems to be ideal for systems that already have a high alk consumption rate.

For example, in one of my tanks, I have 0.5dkh/day consumption rate based on how much 2 part I dose. However, if I dosed saturated kalk based on my evaporation rate, my daily alk addition would be 1.3 dkh. Over the span of 1 week, holding all things constant, my alkalinity would have increased 5.6 dkh and in a month by 22.4dkh.

I don't understand. There's no need to dose saturated limewater (kalkwasser) for all evaporated water. Like any supplement, you can reduce the amount or potency of what you dose as low as you want. For years I used less than saturated limewater for this exact reason.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand. There's no need to dose saturated limewater (kalkwasser) for all evaporated water. Like any supplement, you can reduce the amount or potency of what you dose as low as you want. For years I used less than saturated limewater for this exact reason.

My comment was in response to the "ACI method" that the OP started the thread with. I believe with this "ACI method" the idea is to near-completely replace your evaporation volume with kalkwasser. And by using my lower alk consumption tank example, I was hoping to relay that completely replacing your evaporation with kalkwasser in order to prioritize higher and more stable pH may be better suited for high alkalinity consuming systems (densely packed with SPS).

Hope that makes sense?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment was in response to the "ACI method" that the OP started the thread with. I believe with this "ACI method" the idea is to near-completely replace your evaporation volume with kalkwasser. And by using my lower alk consumption tank example, I was hoping to relay that completely replacing your evaporation with kalkwasser in order to prioritize higher and more stable pH may be better suited for high alkalinity consuming systems (densely packed with SPS).

Hope that makes sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Adding more than is needed would not. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good for me so far, 75% potency, 1550mls a night in a 60g cube. pH 8.25 +- 0.03 day and night. Started a few mls of DIY 2 part during lights on.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit off topic but how to you guys adjust for a growth taking off explosion or tank tanking off?

I am adding 50cc of each two part and then upping the timer for 2 part dosers B-ionic. That works for a few days to a week and I start again as alkalinity drops from 150 ppm to ~140 or so. I am experimenting with over steering 2 part correction each week.

3+ liter of kalk at night with 50 cc/min doser intermittent
2 part Bioinic, bit more alkalinity -

~ 50 cc BRS Soda Ash raises alkalinity 5 ppm in 250 gallons roughly. I never adjust more than that mannualy and then try to adjsut doser pumps to keep up.

Must be a better way.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been able to maintain such small swings? How do your SPS like it?
Maybe a few months. It is always diffifult to say when things got better but I observe tank daily for 10 minutes, and would say monitpora tissue density and coloration/depth of color improved with this, and definitely did not hurt anything.

I have plenty of evaporation but limit kalk addition to 3.5 liters a day with pH 8.3 to 8.4. Addition is evenly at night. Now I just increase B-ionic. I sort of dialed in what a 5 minute increase in each part will do. I am spacing these out.

I would say polyp density improved and no effect on extension.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit off topic but how to you guys adjust for a growth taking off explosion or tank tanking off?

I am adding 50cc of each two part and then upping the timer for 2 part dosers B-ionic. That works for a few days to a week and I start again as alkalinity drops from 150 ppm to ~140 or so. I am experimenting with over steering 2 part correction each week.

3+ liter of kalk at night with 50 cc/min doser intermittent
2 part Bioinic, bit more alkalinity -

~ 50 cc BRS Soda Ash raises alkalinity 5 ppm in 250 gallons roughly. I never adjust more than that mannualy and then try to adjsut doser pumps to keep up.

Must be a better way.

Trial and error dosing is not usually that difficult.

Various negative feedback loops (e.g., higher doses mean high alk which means high consumption, reducing the rise from the higher dose) tend to make one able to find stable doses.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too. Chris Meckley was a bit confusing.

The way I interpretted his discussion was lime water and Potassium Hydroxide work well. He probably raised potassium too high above natural levels adding it but certainly saved money.

I am more of opinion we should be domesticating corals in a loose sense, not recreating perfect levels. I would ditch adding icp driven voodoo.

I chose to meter kalk at night and use bionic during day. I have more challenge keeping salinity up wet skimming than balancing pH and alkalinity.

I would chase both. Here is my pH trend. When trending down or dropping to right I know sps are growing, when tank is looking good too. A drop like this means it is likely 5 ppm too low on alkalinity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-070931_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-070931_APEX Fusion.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 90

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This turns out to be cobblers for me. I plunged for the 8.3ph, without regard for Alk. Alkalinity reached 12.8, acros got burnt tips, chalice went up in smoke, Aiptasia had a growth spurt.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve been doing this for about a week. Pegged at 8.3. Alkalinity has been going up but I turned up the brightness of my lights to increase alk consumption during the day. I wasn’t getting growth on a lot of pieces and now I am but it could also be that I turned up the light percentage. No deaths or stn so far. Should also note my nitrates are 20 and phosphate ~.30.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing this for about a week. Pegged at 8.3. Alkalinity has been going up but I turned up the brightness of my lights to increase alk consumption during the day. I wasn’t getting growth on a lot of pieces and now I am but it could also be that I turned up the light percentage. No deaths or stn so far. Should also note my nitrates are 20 and phosphate ~.30.
Similar N and P figures that I have. If it was easy it would be boring. I fly RC helicopters, a stupid mistake or mechanical failure can cost a lot :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are missing the point of this build.

The key is the skimmer + recirc CO2 scrubber. The goal is drop the CO2 far below atmospheric CO2 levels. This is what makes this system work.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are missing the point of this build.

The key is the skimmer + recirc CO2 scrubber. The goal is drop the CO2 far below atmospheric CO2 levels. This is what makes this system work.
********. This only works if Alk consumption is more than fully saturated kalk can supply.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
********. This only works if Alk consumption is more than fully saturated kalk can supply.
Not sure what you are saying here.

This works because there are fewer carbonic acid ions to bind leaving the hydroxyl ions from the kalkwasser unbound. This is why the system can achieve crazy high pH.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are saying here.

This works because there are fewer carbonic acid ions to bind leaving the hydroxyl ions from the kalkwasser unbound. This is why the system can achieve crazy high pH.
Upshot is don’t screw with your Alk, to benefit pH. Probably why Chris talks about mitigating pH reduction with adequate aeration and stuff.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upshot is don’t screw with your Alk, to benefit pH. Probably why Chris talks about mitigating pH reduction with adequate aeration and stuff.
Indeed.

You have a lot of control with this system. Downside you have a lot of control with the system.

For me this system is too monolithic.

I am very greatful for the video though because it has got me thinking about alk and why it is relatively stable in the ocean.

I collected NSW in the gulf in the summer ... alk 7.7 ca 420 ... in the winter alk 7.7 ca 350. It has me thinking about the role CO2 plays in our aquarium and I am theorizing that it plays a much bigger role than many of us think.

FWIW. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed.

You have a lot of control with this system. Downside you have a lot of control with the system.

For me this system is too monolithic.

I am very greatful for the video though because it has got me thinking about alk and why it is relatively stable in the ocean.

I collected NSW in the gulf in the summer ... alk 7.7 ca 420 ... in the winter alk 7.7 ca 350. It has me thinking about the role CO2 plays in our aquarium and I am theorizing that it plays a much bigger role than many of us think.

FWIW. :)
But even the doctors on here don’t know why it’s important. What chance have I got? :)

I have concluded the method is cobblers though, lol

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But even the doctors on here don’t know why it’s important. What chance have I got? :)

I have concluded the method is cobblers though, lol
There is a disconnect between reason and reality. There shouldn't be. Both are needed to build and communicate knowledge.

What do you mean by cobblers?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back