ACI Kalkwasser Method.... I've watched this video and read a few articles, still not sure the exact method.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The second post of the thread asking:

Because... you know someone is going to read this and dump their tank's entire day's evaporation worth of kalk solution into their system before going to bed just because they got the assumption that they absolutely needed to compensate for nighttime ph swing, which would obviously be bad. I also have too many tangs in my tank.
Why do you assume that my description of a method used successfully by someone else is leading the uneducated astray? Should we censor Chris and never describe his methods for fear that others might misunderstand or misuse them? Why would it be bad if someone (say, me) dosed their entire days evaporation at night with saturated kalk? (It isn’t necessarily bad and likely rarely bad. For me, it wasn’t enough, I now dose kalk slurry to maintain pH at 8.3) And why do you have too many tangs in your tank?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second post of the thread asking:

Because... you know someone is going to read this and dump their tank's entire day's evaporation worth of kalk solution into their system before going to bed just because they got the assumption that they absolutely needed to compensate for nighttime ph swing, which would obviously be bad. I also have too many tangs in my tank.
I suppose that could happen.
But that would require a very low iq.

I had 13 tangs in my last system, a 180g. All were 4-7inches.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you assume that my description of a method used successfully by someone else is leading the uneducated astray? Should we censor Chris and never describe his methods for fear that others might misunderstand or misuse them? Why would it be bad if someone (say, me) dosed their entire days evaporation at night with saturated kalk? (It isn’t necessarily bad and likely rarely bad. For me, it wasn’t enough, I now dose kalk slurry to maintain pH at 8.3) And why do you have too many tangs in your tank?
I think your point was a valid one, but some people aren’t going to get that and are going to do what I mentioned. That’s not your fault nor am I implying that it is. It’s just something people do and why I’m imploring people not to. The “tang” thing is in reference to the “tang police”, some of which who’ll always say your tank is too small for A tang. It’s just an opinion really because quite often other reefers will demonstrate the exact opposite of what that person is claiming. Could they be right? Sure. I’ll bet that lone scopas tang would be even happier in a 5000g saltwater pond than a 180g. Is it necessary? Not really and neither is complaining. It’s better to just stay positive IMO. I like to mention them every so often just for the sake of reminding us to take a breath.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Reefdudes vid, he said his Alk was up to 13, from 8.6, about 22min 20sec or so. Now, that’s a swing.
That guy is all tech and no tank. Can't believe he has such a well-known channel and such a mediocre tank that you hardly see. I've always had a hard time taking advice from guys whose tanks are nothing special personally.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is all tech and no tank. Can't believe he has such a well-known channel and such a mediocre tank that you hardly see. I've always had a hard time taking advice from guys whose tanks are nothing special personally.
He is knowledgeable and has great guests all the time his numbers don't lie, how's your tank doing?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think your point was a valid one, but some people aren’t going to get that and are going to do what I mentioned. That’s not your fault nor am I implying that it is. It’s just something people do and why I’m imploring people not to. The “tang” thing is in reference to the “tang police”, some of which who’ll always say your tank is too small for A tang. It’s just an opinion really because quite often other reefers will demonstrate the exact opposite of what that person is claiming. Could they be right? Sure. I’ll bet that lone scopas tang would be even happier in a 5000g saltwater pond than a 180g. Is it necessary? Not really and neither is complaining. It’s better to just stay positive IMO. I like to mention them every so often just for the sake of reminding us to take a breath.
ah, I understand the reference, i didn't see any tang references in the thread so thought I'd ask. I love my tangs, they do their job very well while adding quite a bit of beauty and action

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are fantastic. I want ALL the tangs.
If you are ever in san antonio, the SeaWorld Aquatica area has an outdoor saltwater pond. In it there's stingrays that people pay to sit with. Also there's hundreds of achilles, yellow and other tangs. The yellows and achilles are dinner plate size. Some like the clowns are even bigger. They come up to the walls and hand feed lol.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is knowledgeable and has great guests all the time his numbers don't lie, how's your tank doing?
Yeah, I've watched a few of his vids because of the guest, etc. That's how I know it isn't for me. Basic newbie reef info and there is a place for that with as much turnover as we have in the hobby. I follow at least a dozen of the top youtube channels and just find the kid's voice extremely annoying. Sorry to trigger you. My tank is lookin' better than his... thanks for asking! lol

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've watched a few of his vids because of the guest, etc. That's how I know it isn't for me. Basic newbie reef info and there is a place for that with as much turnover as we have in the hobby. I follow at least a dozen of the top youtube channels and just find the kid's voice extremely annoying. Sorry to trigger you. My tank is lookin' better than his... thanks for asking! lol
No trigger, I just don't get the need for people to bash someone trying to help others, those are all your opinions not good ones, but they are yours.....=poop emoji

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trigger, I just don't get the need for people to bash someone trying to help others, those are all your opinions not good ones, but they are yours.....=poop emoji
I tried this method, as mentioned on previous pages, prompted by Randy’s explanation that the raise in pH countered the increase in bicarbonate. It failed miserably. I’ve seen some stuff that would indicate bacterial populations could cause feedback loops with changes in Alk, so that’s where my money is. I think you guys call it a crap shoot.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this method, as mentioned on previous pages, prompted by Randy’s explanation that the raise in pH countered the increase in bicarbonate. It failed miserably. I’ve seen some stuff that would indicate bacterial populations could cause feedback loops with changes in Alk, so that’s where my money is. I think you guys call it a crap shoot.
Yes

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with Alk burn. I see no way (apart from abiotic precipitation) that calcium carbonate can be put down by dying organic tissue. How on this planet can skeletal structure outpace organic growth. Makes no sense to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with Alk burn. I see no way (apart from abiotic precipitation) that calcium carbonate can be put down by dying organic tissue. How on this planet can skeletal structure outpace organic growth. Makes no sense to me.

The theory that was suggested to me, and seems plausible, is that skeletal growth at high alk is faster than the tissue can keep up with low nutrients, so the tissue is thin at the growing tips, and more susceptible to damage by light, physical abrasion, etc.

I have no idea if it is the correct explanation, but I've never heard a better explanation for "burnt tips" at high alk and low nutrients.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The theory that was suggested to me, and seems plausible, is that skeletal growth at high alk is faster than the tissue can keep up with low nutrients, so the tissue is thin at the growing tips, and more susceptible to damage by light, physical abrasion, etc.

I have no idea if it is the correct explanation, but I've never heard a better explanation for "burnt tips" at high alk and low nutrients.
Another reason I thought I was safe to try it, phos 0.25, nitrate 25ppm, nope, still no good..On a positive note, the decline did stop almost immediately when I allowed Alk to drop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I got an email response from Chris at ACI. He seems to have some misunderstanding of what I have said and think (not sure if he even read my whole email), and I asked for a clarification of whether he stands by his comment that kalkwasser is not balanced because it contains one calcium and two hydroxides.
Apparently, ACI is not going to respond to my email asking if they stand by what they posted that is shown earlier in this thread. Hopefully they have learned it was erroneous.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back