Acro Blood Bath

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro Blood Bath: No its not some new trendy acro from Jason Fox, Shane Becker or MattV. It's my tank crash.

Started losing acros on Saturday night. Did some fragging and thought nothing of it. Trident readings were inline with Hanna and Salifert. TDS at 0. (2 post RO. 0 after DI) SG 1.026 temp 77-78. No stray voltage.

It was fast and hit every acro over the next 72 hours. I've done two 40g water changes as acro flesh is floating round like i just fed the tank! Changing filter socks ever 12 hours. Added carbon. It's ugly.

Montis, Cyphastreas, acans, hammers and softies all look good. Fish are spooked, but alive and eating.

Display and frag tank are all one system.

Link to build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shallow-80g-sps-build.281604/ (Do I lose my 'Reef Tank 365' badge?)

With all the nightmares 2020 has delivered, my reaction to the crash is muted. There are far worse things going on right now.

Brighter days ahead.

Stay safe people.

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. Have you determined what could have happened? I remember your username for years, like from the other site, so I know you know acros, bummed for you!

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this. Have you determined what could have happened? I remember your username for years, like from the other site, so I know you know acros, bummed for you!
Been growing sticks since July 2001. This is my first tank crash, excluding the one where we were without power for three days in the middle of a DC summer.

I have exhausted all the causes I can think of. Nothing stands out.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... have you introduced any indo corals in the past few months? A few of my friends went thru a tank crash. ICP test showed nothing. All LPS, softies, and fish were fine. Only acros. In less than a week, everything was decimated. My entire tank wiped out.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... have you introduced any indo corals in the past few months? A few of my friends went thru a tank crash. ICP test showed nothing. All LPS, softies, and fish were fine. Only acros. In less than a week, everything was decimated. My entire tank wiped out.
No. I have been insanely carful since wiping out AEFW early last year. I was lucky that I had success with a single round of 'PURGE' treatments.

List of dead acros. Backups also dead as frag tank is attached to the display.

WD Tenuis
Blue Tenuis
Bi-color Blue Tenuis
CC Hellboy
MattV Rainbow Envy Tenuis
JF Homewrecker Tenuis
JF Solar Flare Milli
SC Orange Passion Tenuis
RR Pink Cadillac
RR Firecracker
TGC CherryBomb Tenuis
Copps 24k Milli
Copps Hulk Milli
TCK Inferno
TCK Pikachu
WWC Terra Red
WWC Yellow Tip
WWC Snowdrop
Fox Flame
Vivid Rainbow Delight
ORA Red Planet
ORA Blue Iris
ORA Hawkins Echinata
ORA Ponape Birdsnest
ORA Frogskin
BC Battle Juice
BC Spainbow
BC Schizopolis Sunset Milli
PC Rainbow
Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes
Tyree $500 Efflo
Tyree Blue Matrix
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Tyree Red Dragon
RMF Crown Jewel
UC Strawberry Shortcake
DC Lemonberry
Cali Tort
Reef Ready Grape Juice
Wild Strawberry Shortcake
Green Slimer
No Name Aussie A. Horrida
No Name Gold Milli
No Name Aussie Spath
No Name Bi-Color
No Name Red Table
No Name A. Carolinia
No Name A. Sarmentosa
No Name Tri-Color
No Name Green A. Samoensis
Six assorted no name acros

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a complete rtn event, moving from one coral to the next, like a chain event? Was there any canary signs, like any certain one looking off first? Such an amazing list of acros, very sorry for the loss!

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through something similar and I found that cutting my lighting intensity by 30% and lowering the tank temperature to 76 arrested the rtn. Anything that was spreading on encrusting peices I layered with kalk paste. I feel your pain. Lost about 13 peices roughly 30% of my tank.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that’s horrible Rik! That is some fast death for sure I hope you figure it out before it’s all gone. I feel your pain though mine is happening slower. I have been listing one or two colonies a week to a staple like rtn bacterial thing. It’s the worst I have dealt with yet and really hurts because it’s lasting so long. Last time it stopped on its own.
I ended up letting things go and not even looking in my tub for weeks at a time and not dosing anything either. We are being forced to move because our cats are a business per the county. Oh well Amanda and I have been looking for a chance to move to Florida so I guess this will be it! Sorry about the rtn though that’s really tough to swallow.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and now I have cyano bloom starting on the sandbed. Will syphon it out tomorrow and do another 40g water change. That or hit the case of Draught Guinness in the beer fridge.
Go with the Guinness for now. Sometimes, letting a nice sheet of alcohol wash over you can leave you with some new insights and a restored perspective. I went through something similar with my first reef tank many years ago, so I understand your hurt and frustration.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and now I have cyano bloom starting on the sandbed. Will syphon it out tomorrow and do another 40g water change. That or hit the case of Draught Guinness in the beer fridge.

You may want to consider dosing chemiclean which is erythromycin. Anecdotally RTN is caused by a bacteria so treating the cyano with chemicals clean may help stop the RTN event.

K.miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rik that really sucks man. I dont have much but once you get things settled you are welcome to a piece of the stuff i have

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up and hopefully you'll stay in the game

I just had one colony have this happen and a single frag of Oregon tort had some recession where it encrusted to the frag plug. I am hoping its not a sign of whats to come... I have a pact with myself that if my sticks die, I am going back to leathers. At least I can increase the fish variety.

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E1190315-4726-493C-B9AB-92B1D13781C3.jpeg
C9DBF660-81B4-4781-BF09-A97B7ADB40CA.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gezz....this hurts me. I feel your pain man. Was it a Alk swing or something leaching in the tank?

Any ideas? Did you send an ICP off?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tragic.

Lets sample your tank, this seems clearly bacterial. Send me a PM if youre interested.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back