Acro Color, am I too Impatient???

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there aluminum showing up in your triton test? Are you using one of those ceramic bio blocks or new plumbing?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there aluminum showing up in your triton test? Are you using one of those ceramic bio blocks or new plumbing?
No it was from phosguard when I was trying to starve out all of my corals. I no longer use any media for phosphate removal and I've been hovering anywhere from .05-.03ppm on my weekly test for phosphate.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like iodine is a little low. IME that's important to keep in check for SPS. When I ran triton, my nickel and iodine required additional supplementation.

Would also try to get rid of that aluminum through water changes. That will supply iodine as well without overdosing.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noted in another thread my rainbow loom took almost 8 months to colour back up after the lack of nitrate bleaching. Some just take a long time to hit their stride again.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like iodine is a little low. IME that's important to keep in check for SPS. When I ran triton, my nickel and iodine required additional supplementation.

Would also try to get rid of that aluminum through water changes. That will supply iodine as well without overdosing.
Sure, I bought the supplement from Triton and the red sea pro test kit. I also do weekly WCs of 10%. I will test iodine again tonight and add some of necessary.

I would imagine if I sent out another Triton today my aluminum would be back to normal, or close because that test is from about 2 months ago and I chucked the media as well as 90% of my macro when I got the result. I only run my fuge for 4 hrs now and only about a softball size chunk of chaeto.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly WC of 10% should be sufficient to correct those elements. I didn't know if you were full triton method with zero water changes. I agree with the acclimation threads. Some corals can take a long time to settle in, especially after shock.

Chaeto is prob soaking up iron so worth checking that as well. On Eat Sleep Reef, he has one video about chaeto growth. He added https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/ferrion.php and his chaeto kept growing. I'm considering running elevated iron levels with my chaeto because I've noticed two green sps turn brown during acclimation.

I just dosed some iron today and will let you know if that helps at all with my green colors. I have alot of macroalgae and chaeto as well.

The green SPS I received from LED radions retained their color when introducing into my AI prime tank. However the frags from unknown lights browned out during acclimation. I reduced lighting on them and that seemed to accelerate the color loss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly WC of 10% should be sufficient to correct those elements. I didn't know if you were full triton method with 0 WC. I agree with the acclimation threads. Some corals can take a long time to settle in, especially after shock.

Chaeto is prob soaking up iron so worth checking that as well. On Eat Sleep Reef, he has one video about chaeto growth. He added https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/ferrion.php and his chaeto kept growing. I'm considering running elevated iron levels with my chaeto because I've noticed the green colors on some of my sps are fading.

I just dosed some today and will let you know if that helps at all with my green colors. I have alot of macroalgae and chaeto.
Cool I will do some research on iron as well. I used to have tons of chaeto my problem was it was sucking all of the nutrients out of my system and I thought I was doing good by running the fuge for 12hrs keeping the pH up but all I was doing was outcompeting the corals for nutrients.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're struggling with certain frags, it could very well be that you've reset their comfort demands enough times that the recovery will take much much longer. Moving frags, parameter swings, lighting changes, etc. will definitely stunt the success of a piece. Sometimes this will delay coloration/growth of one frag while others shake it off and grow 5x as fast. I've experienced this with something as simple as a snail knocking a frag to the sand. My suggestion would be be patience with stability, or a new healthy frag of the coral you're hoping to get more from.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're struggling with certain frags, it could very well be that you've reset their comfort demands enough times that the recovery will take much much longer. Moving frags, parameter swings, lighting changes, etc. will definitely stunt the success of a piece. Sometimes this will delay coloration/growth of one frag while others shake it off and grow 5x as fast. I've experienced this with something as simple as a snail knocking a frag to the sand. My suggestion would be be patience with stability, or a new healthy frag of the coral you're hoping to get more from.
I do definitely have other frags that look Excellent and are growing at least 5x as fast. So you are probably right it's just my terrible ability to exercise any patience at all lol.

I have stopped messing with things and just started focusing on stability for sure.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noted in another thread my rainbow loom took almost 8 months to colour back up after the lack of nitrate bleaching. Some just take a long time to hit their stride again.
That's at least assurance. I definitely had a nitrate deficiency at one point when I was trying to keep nutrients bottomed out for sure. Not the case now, so here I wait. I do have a rainbow loom frag and it's back to looking about as good as it did the day I received it a few months back.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has more information on it:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in fact impatient. I have nothing else to contribute :D

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back