Acro eating Nudi??

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing. Got a Frag from a local dude and the back has some tissue missing. During the dip I looked very close and noticed some nudis on the part that is missing tissue. They look like nudis not flatworms.
Any one ever see these things?

686da456fe3e357322d4872949995f23.png

625f97ddf686feb44b1ce0448599c293.jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe some Aeolid Nudibranchs will eat acropora. It's also possible that they are just eating the already decaying flesh on the acro. Either way, I would treat them like any other possible pest, dip and qt.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe some Aeolid Nudibranchs will eat acropora. It's also possible that they are just eating the already decaying flesh on the acro. Either way, I would treat them like any other possible pest, dip and qt.
Or just toss the frag since it's only one frag from another system and your tank doesn't have them :). Nudibranchs are tough SOBs.

CMatlosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have/had these. I can confirm they are eating flesh not just dead tissue, I had several nice pieces that were actively encrusting/growing and then started getting stripped from the bottom up with these nudi's all over them. They spread through the tank fairly quickly. I posted a few months back on here about the duration to leave a display fallow, check my old posts. If at all possible do not even attempt or risk your DT with these, they are the devil to get rid of. I looked around ALOT and couldn't find much about acro nudi's. Perhaps they are newer to the industry. Similar to AEFW I found they preferred smooth skinned acro like you pictured. They did attack millepora, but it seemed like they had a much more difficult time consuming it. Bayer worked for me for temporary relief, but the eggs are super hard to find. I removed every bit of SPS from my tank for almost 4 months and just recently tried moving stuff back, we'll see if they starved out or not.

These are worse than AEFW imo. At least with AEFW you can persistently dip pieces, these guys will move around the rocks at the base and I could never get rid of them all without pulling everything out to another tank.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until this point I thought nudibranchs were obligate feeders. BRS had some of these on monti. Pretty scary that they can go off and eat something else, assuming they are the same thing. About the only way to get rid of them is multiple dips every couple days until you can kill them all before they reach sexual maturity.

Anybody still think you don't have to quarantine coral?

Back