Acro id

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i have this acropora, do you know the name? It has grown a lot but it kept a brownish color :(
b4a3f4d5d98cf6a1c299b9c5bf12bfeb.jpg
cffbc9f72ae382b3c9a385b1f9d49455.jpg

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows your lighting and nutrients? Looks pale
I don t think it is pale, actually it is brown and it s the only one not showing any kind of improvements. I have 5 led bars (easyled) that are common here in Italy. Do you think it could be too much light? I thougt it needed more light. It had more green on the branches but now its totally brown with purple tips. For the nutrients i have almost undetectable no3 and po4, but i feed heavily my fishes 2 times a day and i feed corals with cyclopeeze (i still had a can) and amino twice a week.

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the full tank, as you can see all acros are doing fine :D. Thats the only one completely brown!
e12e0bf3bea7d754eab7a9338d96188d.jpg
77c2374d97583c7389bf93d521f430ac.jpg

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure lighting is the issue. Sometimes corals are just naturally dull in color. When you purchased it, was it always brown?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubular corallites look more like Acropora Nana which is similar to Valida. The tan color with light purple tips is a common color for Nana. It looks very healthy. I love the acro crab in it. They take good care of their acro home.

Nice tank! :)

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seen a great many freshly collected branches of A. secale i can tell you that the colors are most often blue or purple tips just like yours and the rest of the branches are cream with light tan highlights around the radial corallites just like yours.

Despite all of us wanting all our acros to be crazy colored sticks from top to bottom i would like to point out that you are keeping a thriving colony that is growing well AND colored up exactly as it would be on an ocean reef.

Don't change anything because i've tried a few over the years and you have that particular acro looking the best it can and it's no small feat as most people i know lose the pale skin tone and have all drab tan colored branches with darker tips than yours.

OP
OP
G

gugpuccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seen a great many freshly collected branches of A. secale i can tell you that the colors are most often blue or purple tips just like yours and the rest of the branches are cream with light tan highlights around the radial corallites just like yours.

Despite all of us wanting all our acros to be crazy colored sticks from top to bottom i would like to point out that you are keeping a thriving colony that is growing well AND colored up exactly as it would be on an ocean reef.

Don't change anything because i've tried a few over the years and you have that particular acro looking the best it can and it's no small feat as most people i know lose the pale skin tone and have all drab tan colored branches with darker tips than yours.
Thanks and thank you all! :D im happy to know that. It s a beautiful coral! I thought it was not doing well because of the brownish color. :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back