Acro Spawned? Need ID

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup guys/gals,

I recently noticed these tiny bright neon green coral everywhere throughout the tank. Are these acro babies??? I have no idea where they came from, there are at least half a dozen in the tank, all of them in very high light areas. Bright neon green body, dark brown polyp. Most of them are less than a mm across. Does not really look like any acro I have in the tank. I manage to pop one off and mount it on a frag plug.

Anyone seen something similar b4? There are only a couple sps in this tank and they are all acros, none really looked like these little guys too. Are they spawned? polyp bailout? Can acros even do that?

Cheers

3.jpg 1.jpg
2.jpg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you would like to see some up close acro babies check out this YT video with examples of home grown acropora.

We need a flow chart...
Do you have acropora? yes/no

Do you run a consistent lunar cycle? yes/no
Do you maintain a blacked out tank outside of illuminated hours? yes/no

What corals are in your tank? I suspect they might be something like small rock flower anemones, button scolys, or goniopora?

(Re-read your coral list, I see that you have only acropora)

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you would like to see some up close acro babies check out this YT video with examples of home grown acropora.

We need a flow chart...
Do you have acropora? yes/no

Do you run a consistent lunar cycle? yes/no
Do you maintain a blacked out tank outside of illuminated hours? yes/no

What corals are in your tank? I suspect they might be something like small rock flower anemones, button scolys, or goniopora?

(Re-read your coral list, I see that you have only acropora)

No sorry i do have lps but i just though these looked like sps thats why I mention acros, I have button scolys and couple of euphyllias and a rock flower nem. Also huh thanks for the video, they do look sorta like the little acro babies.

Also a month ago too a found a couple of neon green flat worm looking thing. At the time I thought it was a flat worm, but now, Im thinking maybe it was the acro larve? Didnt realized they moved like that, corals are so alien lol.

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Im pretty convinced this might actually be an acro baby. The zoomed in from the video looks exactly like it, neon green body, dark brown polyp hole.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 114942.png

OP
OP
Kerbash

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1 RFA?

They could be rock flower babies. Usually when the mother releases them they are about the size of a pencil eraser.
Yeah but these have like hard skeleton, not squishy. Also I have 3 RFA.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they wriggle and squirm until they settle on the rock. Consider watching the Puff: Wonders of the Reef on Netflix. The show the acropora spawn and lifecycle from the great barrier reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back