Acro tip burn and fading

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing from direct sunlight besides algae potential is changes in tank temperature from the sunlight
Hi, i think i have the exact same issue here. Actually i own a reef store so i have multiple display tanks at the store. All tanks are doing well (sps and lps). I have one tank at home, its quite new (around a year old), all sps that i put will have burn tips after 2 or 3 weeks. I am just confused and discouraged. I know all params are good. There is just something that keeps causing this burn tips event. Scenario is always the same. Put sps in, looked good, burn tips after 2 or 3 weeks, and then died. So i keep on thinking and tracking what is the cause or the difference between this tank and the tanks at my store, the only difference i can think of is at around 3pm, my tank at home got like direct sunlight, while all of my tanks at the store never got sunlight. Could this be the cause? Or is it some kind of bacteria or virus that only attacks sps?

How about you guys who experience this event, does your tank got any direct sunlight from the window?
1. When was your last ICP test?
2. Your home regime is probably different than at the store. At the store, you sell product and constantly remove water and replenish with NSW. Do you water changes at home with the same frequency?
3. What do you dose? Amino’s, Trace? Calcium Reactor?
4. Detail out what minute difference happen between what you do at the store versus at home.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i think i have the exact same issue here. Actually i own a reef store so i have multiple display tanks at the store. All tanks are doing well (sps and lps). I have one tank at home, its quite new (around a year old), all sps that i put will have burn tips after 2 or 3 weeks. I am just confused and discouraged. I know all params are good. There is just something that keeps causing this burn tips event. Scenario is always the same. Put sps in, looked good, burn tips after 2 or 3 weeks, and then died. So i keep on thinking and tracking what is the cause or the difference between this tank and the tanks at my store, the only difference i can think of is at around 3pm, my tank at home got like direct sunlight, while all of my tanks at the store never got sunlight. Could this be the cause? Or is it some kind of bacteria or virus that only attacks sps?

How about you guys who experience this event, does your tank got any direct sunlight from the window?
I had this issue and it was due to incorrect alkalinity readings. My alk was around 5.5-6 dkh when I narrowed it down to a bad test kit. Once I raised my alkalinity to 8-8.5, everything started to heal. This took weeks to recover from however, so once you raise the alkalinity, don't be surprised if some colonies continue to go downhill. Some may never recover either.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear your frustration. Some ideas to consider:
1) When I see something "off" with my SPS (or LPS for that matter) I send off an ICP right away. This rules in/out a few things. a) my trace stuff is OK b) no metals leaching in from dodgy equipment/magnets c) my own test kits are calibrated and accurate. I sleep better for a few months.

2) Shrooms & palys. I just don't trust them anymore with acropora. Same with toadstools. Whenever they get the slightest bit stressed/disturbed/manhandled I FEEL LIKE they release crap into the water. They always win any sustained physical contact with neighbors. I KNOW that to be true. So I am done with all of those along with bubbletips for the same reason.
Yes I hate my disco shrooms. In the process of removing all but it is a slow process.
The shrooms release and float around looking for a new area.
They get stuck in powerheads.
They sting/kill anything they come in contact with.
It took me awhile to figure it out but when I found one on an acro in the morning it had killed the area.
Removing them a few at a time but I have many.
Smaller frags will stn overnight.
Larger ones may survive.
Found one on this stag. This happenend overnight.
So far it has not increased. Only time will tell though.
20210211_093852.jpg

BryanMatthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When was your last ICP test?
2. Your home regime is probably different than at the store. At the store, you sell product and constantly remove water and replenish with NSW. Do you water changes at home with the same frequency?
3. What do you dose? Amino’s, Trace? Calcium Reactor?
4. Detail out what minute difference happen between what you do at the store versus at home.
Hi, same regime, and for the display tanks i always use asw, i dont sell corals from my display tanks at the store, same dosing regime too, well not the same but similar depending on each tank's needs. We dont really have icp test here in Indonesia so yeah, just tested with Hana, redsea pro and salifert kits. So the tank at home can grow LPS well, most of my LPS are growing, especially zoa and acans. But if i put sps it'll have burnt tip and then die. KH is always stable at around 7.9-8.

BryanMatthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue and it was due to incorrect alkalinity readings. My alk was around 5.5-6 dkh when I narrowed it down to a bad test kit. Once I raised my alkalinity to 8-8.5, everything started to heal. This took weeks to recover from however, so once you raise the alkalinity, don't be surprised if some colonies continue to go downhill. Some may never recover either.
This is what i thought at the beginning, but i tried Hana, redsea pro and saliferr kits and they were all roughly the same. Around 7.9-8.2. What test kit did you use?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, same regime, and for the display tanks i always use asw, i dont sell corals from my display tanks at the store, same dosing regime too, well not the same but similar depending on each tank's needs. We dont really have icp test here in Indonesia so yeah, just tested with Hana, redsea pro and salifert kits. So the tank at home can grow LPS well, most of my LPS are growing, especially zoa and acans. But if i put sps it'll have burnt tip and then die. KH is always stable at around 7.9-8.
Dealing with the same SPS issue right now. My alk was stable around 8. I had a spike when I had my alk at 8.5 and it spiked to 9.5 for one day and then boom. RTN one by one with my SPS corals. ICP test showed all parameters are good but still showing new death everyday. I’m currently letting my alk fall naturally to around 7 to see if that helps because I’m all out of options.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back