Acros go fluorescent green

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
most of my acros go fluorescent green mainly rings at the tips.
I just bought a big light green acro with same colour polyps except the tips are sky blue and had sky blue polyps.
it’s been in the tank 3 days. All polyps are out however the sky blue polyps have turned fluorescent green and the tips have a fluorescent ring now.
the piece was cut from colony infront of me from a friend 3 days ago. Our water is very similar. He has 6 radion xr 30 pros all 100% and blue atlantics running length front and back.
the coral probably the size of a football was sitting right at the top.
it would be very surprising to me if my lights were too much.
I’m running 4 hydra 26hd at 14” above water. Uv 80, violet 90, royals 140, blue 120, green 10, red 10, and white 30. They’re at this for 8 hours and ramp 2 hours.
this gives me 200 par on bottom and 450 just under surface.
coral is in same position in my tank.
water.
t 25
Sg 35
Alk 8.5
Ca 420
Mg 1350
Po4 0.05
No3 5
Ph 8.15 to 8.3

it’s as if the acros reach saturation point and all develop fluorescent green.
I have a red arborites at the same level good polyp ext and growth this hasn’t developed fluorescent green.

what do you recon. Too much royal blue. ?
it’s not the water. TDS always zero. I do 25% wc 1st every month. Add trace 15th every month and feed sps using reef zoids every Friday night.

could it be because I run nopox

I don’t mind too much just want to know why.
cheers
Barks

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look fine, Acro‘s can take some time to adjust before they color up. What is the size and age of your tank? Are you dosing iron by any chance?

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless if your lighting is similar you should acclimate to your lighting/spectrum. If it looks healthy just let it ride and it should adjust to your lighting.

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium. Haven’t a clue. But it really shouldn’t be the water.
I did a 50% wc 2 months ago then another 50% a week after that. Then every 1st I do 25% which was Monday.
dose aqua forest a b c every 15th of month.
mum on the verge of dropping the blues down a touch. Starting aminos tomorrow.
hehe. Follow along but I doubt we will find out why. I can only think it hitting saturation point.
barks

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. How about that.

the answer is.
it’s the coral using gfp. (Green fluorescent protein pigments) to fine tune its micro light environment during photo acclimation.
so I would assume my lighting is stronger and the coral is protecting itself until it is acclimated to my spectrum. Else it would stay the same color or go brown.
barks

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well. How about that.

the answer is.
it’s the coral using gfp. (Green fluorescent protein pigments) to fine tune its micro light environment during photo acclimation.
so I would assume my lighting is stronger and the coral is protecting itself until it is acclimated to my spectrum. Else it would stay the same color or go brown.
barks
Interesting. Once it’s acclimated, will it return to its previous color or stay green?

marineman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of my acros drop color while they settle, then they look like crap, then once they start growing, you finally get to see what they look like. Some even do that after I frag them and only move them to a frag rack in the same tank!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always found this to be a sort of settling in phase that usually ends up with the acro coloring up nicely in a couple of months. Grey > brown > green > highlights > nice color > full color > see me on Instagram.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back