Acros Growing But Turning Green

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief History, I have had a bare bottom 100gal for almost 2 yrs. Have gone through the up and downs over that time, similar to what BRS had gone through in their hybrid series.

Fast forward 2yrs later and I have started to fill the take up. Parameters have been stable for 6 months everything is growing great however something is going on with the acros. They are doing great and growing however they are just all turning green. Yellow to Green, Red to Green, Orange to Green. The only colors that are turning green are blues. They are holding their colors and my JF Fox Flame. He is the odd one. He was my first coral and when I got him he was browned out because there was a delay in shipping. However he has colored back up.

All my other corals are holding color from Chalice, Montis, all my LPSs

Anyone have any ideas?

Alk 9ish
Calc 450ish
Mag 1420ish
PO4 0.06
NO3 1

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your UVs super high.
Ultraviolets make for an awesome display, but they can potentially change the colors of coral.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Do you know what PAR they are under? My walt, homewrecker, PC Rainbow went more green when under a more blue spectrum with lower PAR. Once I raised the PAR slowly I started getting more colors back along with adding a bit of white to the spectrum.

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Do you know what PAR they are under? My walt, homewrecker, PC Rainbow went more green when under a more blue spectrum with lower PAR. Once I raised the PAR slowly I started getting more colors back along with adding a bit of white to the spectrum.

no, I have 6 gen 4s over a 100gal at 75%. I do have I seneye I could dust off. What are you thinking I should be at for the upper 1/3?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, I have 6 gen 4s over a 100gal at 75%. I do have I seneye I could dust off. What are you thinking I should be at for the upper 1/3?

People will say different things when it comes to PAR, I find 350 PAR average for me has been the best for growth and color. I will add be careful if you add any white to the spectrum, especially if you have any euphelia

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will say different things when it comes to PAR, I find 350 PAR average for me has been the best for growth and color. I will add be careful if you add any white to the spectrum, especially if you have any euphelia

Checked PAR last night and upper 1/3 was in the 150's. I bumped it up and ran the acclimation for a 6 week period. Didn't raise the white spectrum or color spectrum just the intensity for 70% to 90%. We will see what that looks like over the next few months.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked PAR last night and upper 1/3 was in the 150's. I bumped it up and ran the acclimation for a 6 week period. Didn't raise the white spectrum or color spectrum just the intensity for 70% to 90%. We will see what that looks like over the next few months.

Sounds good! Take is slow and keep an eye on alk consumption closely. I wouldn’t go more than 85% personally having owned that same setup over a 120. Once you hit there you can assess again

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Coral Newbie , Did you every fix your issue?

I am having a similar issue with my acros. I'm fairly new to acro's. I'm using reefbreeder lights with the BRS recommended sps settings.

Just checked with my par meter and they're at about 400 par.

Above is what they looked like at the store, below is what they look like in my tank.
1628703610185.png
1628703655323.png

These are slightly more neon than how they look in my tank... can't seem to get the color adjustment right.
1628703671083.png

At least I got them to encrust.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back