2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I am designing and building a pico aquarium. Here are the dimensions
BsFishTank-dimensions_zps9baf0a6d.jpg

I want it to be chunky, so I think I will use 1/4" acrylic. Want a pico version of SPSPirate's Bullet Proof Cube
DSC01125_zpsc413c15f.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/53349-70gal-bullet-proof-bank-wall-acrylic.html

My question is, what type of acrylic to get? I went on to a local acrylic company's site and am not sure where to go next..
Material For Sale

I will have false wall in back, it will be black..do I need to get same thickness, but black?

reefed419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Akabryanhall,
I know for a display tank u will want to use cellcast acrylic. It holds up the best under reef lighting. The false wall does not need to be the same thickness, but since u are only planning on 1/4", I would use the same thickness in your application. I am by no means a acrylic master, but I know that much. Hopefully someone with much more experience than me might be able to guide you more in depth. Good Luck with the build. Hope to see a build thread in the future.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idealy I would use 3/8" chemicast gp for this, but thats just my opinion. You could use 1/4" acrylic, but its not actually 1/4", it going to be in a range from .19 - .23. All acrylic sheets vary in thickness from manufacturing. Just make sure you use cast acrylic. It will be clearer.

Atomicreef.com

tobyte1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely use cell-cast acrylic rather than extruded.Not only is it stronger, but it bonds better because there is no 'grain' direction from the extrusion process. I would use the 3/8" also. Stronger joints and it will give you that 'chunky' look. If you need any advice, hit me up. I've been doing acrylic fab for about 20 years. New to this forum, but I will help you any way I can. Here is a pic of a sump/fuge that I built for a friend's system. Built from 1/4" cell-cast.
PICT0151.jpg

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Is there a difference between chemicast and cell cast? Tobyte welcome to the forum!! Hadnt thought about 3/8". Would that be overkill on a tank this size?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Is there a difference between chemicast and cell cast? Tobyte welcome to the forum!! Hadnt thought about 3/8". Would that be overkill on a tank this size?

Same thing. It should have said chemcast GP. Its just a brand name. 3/8 will not be overkill. Especially since you are doing it rimless. 1/4" will have some bowing to it. Not that 1/4" won't work, it would technically be fine.

Atomicreef.com

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back