Acrylic Screened Lids Are Feasible

ShakeyGizzard

Southern Dude
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2023
Messages
8,080
Reaction score
32,880
Location
West Central Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 18 months ago I made a 2 part lid for a 40 breeder tank. The problem with using acrylic is that it bows and bends with time, gravity, and moisture. I am no pro with acrylic , but under the advice of an engineer at work, I was able to make a strong screened lid for about $36 in acrylic, $20 in screen and spline. My design was cut out with a CNC router, but the basic design can be cut out multiple ways. The top looked really good, but when the supports were added , my inexperience with acrylic effected the appearance of the top. Function of the supports was awesome, going on a year and no visible sagging or bending visible. These tops are very strong this way.
No additional purchase of acrylic was needed since the supports were made with the off cut pieces.

Before Supports
20240317_162702.jpg


added vertical supports to the lid

20240322_131556.jpg
20240322_131607.jpg
20240322_131644.jpg


appearance after supports

5_2_24_2.jpg


With more time under my belt with acrylic, the appearance of the lids would be much better. May redo it in the future just for the display tank. some minor mods were needed for the weir clearance, but it was easy. This can drastically cut the cost of DIY screened lids if you use acrylic .
 
what is the hole for? what type f acrylic did you use? I tried some from Home Depot and it just shattered in tiny pieces with my router.
 
Looks great! I have been planning on making a lids for over a year now and not gotten anywhere with it. But, I am current using a piece 1mm transparent sheet. I found it in the garbage bin. It doesn’t warp so I am assuming it’s polycarbonate. I would like to find that material in a hardware store.
 
Looks great! I have been planning on making a lids for over a year now and not gotten anywhere with it. But, I am current using a piece 1mm transparent sheet. I found it in the garbage bin. It doesn’t warp so I am assuming it’s polycarbonate. I would like to find that material in a hardware store.
Check out a local plastic fabrication shop; they love working with polycarbonate!
 
The hole is probably for feeding and has a lid

All my lids are polycarbonate, it’s what the mainstream companies use. It won’t bow or distort over time
 
What are the dimensions of this lid? I made solid 3/8” acrylic lids (with perimeter, and center spines) which were roughly 18” X 24” long ago, and they warped severely… it looks like using acrylic for the perimeter only, plus the perimeter spines are the secret!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new