Acrylic Thickness for 96x24x24

crispier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has been discussed, but I’ve been unable to see opinions for this specific size of tank. I’ve never had an acrylic aquarium and am currently getting ready to make a purchase. I am concerned with bowing. I’ve looked at all the major manufacturers and for the 96x24x24 it seems the standard is 1/2 inch acrylic. When reviewing the calculators, it states that up to 24 inches tall is 1/2 inch and 24+ inches high is 3/4+. Since 24 inches is on the high end, and this is an 8 foot long aquarium…what’s my best option?

1. I am curious if anyone here has one of the 96x24x24 with the standard 1/2 inch thickness and has it bowed?

2. Opinions - Should I just make the customization change to 3/4 inch acrylic and call it a day?

I am planning on having this tank for at least 20 years.

thank you.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Request 3/4.. 1/2” will bow over time! If it was 4-5ft long then 1/2” would be okay but being 8ft it has a tendency to bow. I can already tell who you’re getting the tank from as everyone has the same complaint lol..

OP
OP
C

crispier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your opinions. It’s been an interesting shopping experience vs just going into a store and picking an aquarium. There is a lot more research when looking into acrylic and a large tank.

I actually have quotes from 5 different places and waiting for one from 2 others. All of them gave quotes for 1/2 inch acrylic and I had to go back and have them requote at 3/4. All except 1 that quoted 3/4 inch sides and 1/2 inch top and bottom as standard. The fact that that 1 quoted a higher quality product to start left me feeling most comfortable.

I have found that the 3/4 inch on this size runs, on average, $900-$1,000 for the upgrade. I’m a bit shocked at the different prices for what should be “essentially” the same thing…a range of 2k to almost 6k…just for the tank.

I don’t want to mention company names, as I am sure they all produce a quality end product. my advice to shoppers is get multiple quotes and do your research if you consider this a big long term investment.

OP
OP
C

crispier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing that we all said, 20 tanks ago!
So true. I have 7 right now. Largest is a 210 glass. I am actually going to donate that to a local high school and give away 1 or 2 of the smaller ones. In the end, consolidating, but will end up with a 15, 75, 125, and 240.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked with Envision acrylics. My tank is 7ft x 4ft x 30 inches tall. Told them it was in the middle of my workplace and I want no seam or bowing issues, also I wanted the tank to outlive me. We upgraded from 3/4 to 1 inch. The tank is beautiful and built like a tank. I sleep very well knowing that bowing and seam ruptures aren't an issue.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this has been discussed, but I’ve been unable to see opinions for this specific size of tank. I’ve never had an acrylic aquarium and am currently getting ready to make a purchase. I am concerned with bowing. I’ve looked at all the major manufacturers and for the 96x24x24 it seems the standard is 1/2 inch acrylic. When reviewing the calculators, it states that up to 24 inches tall is 1/2 inch and 24+ inches high is 3/4+. Since 24 inches is on the high end, and this is an 8 foot long aquarium…what’s my best option?

1. I am curious if anyone here has one of the 96x24x24 with the standard 1/2 inch thickness and has it bowed?

2. Opinions - Should I just make the customization change to 3/4 inch acrylic and call it a day?

I am planning on having this tank for at least 20 years.

thank you.
My 96x30x24 is made of 1/2 plexi and it bows like a bow and arrow. I’m scared everytime I stand in front of it. If it wasn’t for the fact it’s in my unfinished basement and won’t damage anything if it blows out, I would’ve gotten rid of it long time ago. I measure easily 1.5-2 inch of bow in the front panel. Scary !!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back