Activated Carbon in CO2 Scrubber

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 media is just Kalkwasser, IceCap media sucks and it’s hard to find lime crystals vs powder.

How long would activated carbon last in a co2 scrubber?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it would react the same but I've ran my co2 scrubber for 6 months and haven't had to change it.
What does your pH graph look like? Mine lasts around 5wks doing recirculating CO2 scrubber.

Co2 media is just Kalkwasser, IceCap media sucks and it’s hard to find lime crystals vs powder.

I got soda lime in bulk from Amazon, cheaper than going Direct with JorVet due to shipping.

Soda Lime 5 Gallon

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Raised it .4
Screenshot_20231222_052313_APEXFusion.jpg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does your pH graph look like? Mine lasts around 5wks doing recirculating CO2 scrubber.

I got soda lime in bulk from Amazon, cheaper than going Direct with JorVet due to shipping.

Soda Lime 5 Gallon

That's a lot of lime! How do you like the recirculating feature? What does it add to yoir pH? I see so many people with moisture issues that it's not worth it to me. That could possibly be contributing to your use, although 5 weeks seems to be closer to what BRS states to expect. I don't know why mine has lasted so long. It is bright pink just like the day I got it. Surely that tiny bit of rodi I put at the bottom has dried up. Maybe it's just not doing anything. I'll take it offline for a day and see what happens.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of lime! How do you like the recirculating feature? What does it add to yoir pH? I see so many people with moisture issues that it's not worth it to me. That could possibly be contributing to your use, although 5 weeks seems to be closer to what BRS states to expect. I don't know why mine has lasted so long. It is bright pink just like the day I got it. Surely that tiny bit of rodi I put at the bottom has dried up. Maybe it's just not doing anything. I'll take it offline for a day and see what happens.
Exactly mine is still pink. I switched out inlet outlet hoses to larger size to allow more air flow and still pink. It’s definitely pulling air but no change.

What I did was create a 12” waterfall over my sump. That keeps PH pinned at 8.3-8.4. I turn it off over night because it’s loud. I get around 8.0 over night. Scrubber not doing anything at all. I’m pulling air from outside

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I thought the media changed from white to pink when it was depleted?
Icecap changes to white after depletion. I left some out of the bag just to see if it actually works and it does just not in the scrubber.

And by work I mean it went from pink to white when left out of the sealed bag. Can’t check room air PH for changes ha!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap changes to white after depletion
Here is a screen shot from CoralVue website that says to replace the media once it turns pink. I also just found a YouTube video of someone with an unopened bag that was white.
I am going to go and see if I have an unopened bag. I really thought it started off white (although I have usually used BRS media)
ETA- I also know with some brands of media it will change from white to color when depleted, then will eventually go back to white, making it looked like it was unused when it is actually depleted. Not sure about ice cap though
IMG_0596.png

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screen shot from CoralVue website that says to replace the media once it turns pink. I also just found a YouTube video of someone with an unopened bag that was white.
I am going to go and see if I have an unopened bag. I really thought it started off white (although I have usually used BRS media)
BRS sells icecap as well. It’s pink at least for this brand.

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 60

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on media, my JorVet soda lime turns from white to pink/purple when depleted. I know it’s time to change media when I dip below 8.

If not recirculating, the media should last 1-2wks max. Here was mine before & after in June vs today — I need to swap out later.

Attachments

• IMG_4816.png
    IMG_4816.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7126.png
    IMG_7126.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think it’s worth it only getting .1 bump on PH? When I added my scrubber I was looking for .3-.4 bump minimum and having to a shutoff valve.
I thought I may have been doing something wrong but from seeing what you guys posted it’s about the same over night.

I’ll have to find a way to isolate the noise from the water fall because that worked liked a charm. No problem.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think it’s worth it only getting .1 bump on PH?
It’s not IMO. I added a scrubber to my outside airline and the saw a minimal increase in pH. After just a few media exchanges I quit replacing my media. I ended up adding some sodium hydroxide solution to my sodium carbonate alkalinity supplement to get my pH where I want it.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not IMO. I added a scrubber to my outside airline and the saw a minimal increase in pH. After just a few media exchanges I quit replacing my media. I ended up adding some sodium hydroxide solution to my sodium carbonate alkalinity supplement to get my pH where I want it.
I usr Marine Buffer. Which works great. I use fry. Mixing 20tbls to 500ml of fresh water. And dosing 20ml will bump my PH to 8.2 and Alk by 1 DKH.

I wanted to pin PH at 8.3-8.4 without having to hit 11-12DKH though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2 media is not kalkwasser, solids or liquid. Folks have used kalkwasser liquid and it can have some effect, but the soda lime (the actual media) works better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back