OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. Why do you think GAC will remove any CO2?
There’s a lot of science and proof that using activated carbon products will remove co2 from air. There’s a lot of reefers on YouTube that add activated carbon on top of their skimmers inorder to absorb any co2 that may get through

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of science and proof that using activated carbon products will remove co2 from air. There’s a lot of reefers on YouTube that add activated carbon on top of their skimmers inorder to absorb any co2 that may get through

Show me. It makes no sense for it to remove much CO2 from normal air. Experiments on flue gas are entirely different.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight from BRS them selves
Don’t look to BRS for correct chemical info. They correctly note elsewhere that the media is soda lime, which is different than calcium hydroxide;

BRS Carbon Dioxide Absorption Media is made of calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2), water, and a small amount of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in a precise mixture that will efficiently remove CO2 from the air in a semi-closed system. The addition of ethyl violet dye is added to the particles as a color indicator to show when the media is nearing exhaustion, making maintenance as easy as looking at the canister containing the media periodically.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me. It makes no sense.
It didnt make sense you said co2 media wasn’t KALKWASSER. “Say your wrong” before trying to attack something else you don’t think makes sense.

Google your self. You find time to find my post and try to discredit. then turn around to say the same on your own post.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t look to BRS for correct chemical info. They correctly note elsewhere that the media is soda lime, which is different than calcium hydroxide;

BRS Carbon Dioxide Absorption Media is made of calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2), water, and a small amount of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in a precise mixture that will efficiently remove CO2 from the air in a semi-closed system. The addition of ethyl violet dye is added to the particles as a color indicator to show when the media is nearing exhaustion, making maintenance as easy as looking at the canister containing the media periodically.
CaOH2
end of that story

Attachments

• IMG_5415.jpeg
    IMG_5415.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5414.jpeg
    IMG_5414.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 39

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didnt make sense you said co2 media wasn’t KALKWASSER. “Say your wrong” before trying to attack something else you don’t think makes sense.

Google your self. You find time to find my post and try to discredit. then turn around to say the same on your own post.
It’s not Kalkwasser. It’s calcium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide with a little potassium hydroxide if I remember correctly. Technically Kalkwasser would be the clear fluid left after mixing calcium hydroxide with water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You apparently do not think it important to state things accurately. I do, and your statement was wrong.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not Kalkwasser. It’s calcium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide with a little potassium hydroxide if I remember correctly. Technically Kalkwasser would be the clear fluid left after mixing calcium hydroxide with water.
Liquid or solid the compounds remain the same

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid or solid the compounds remain the same

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaOH2
end of that story
Again, you are simply wrong.

Even the quote you show demonstrates you are wrong.

And the comment about liquid vs solid being the same is also wrong.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You apparently do not think it important to state things accurately. I do, and your statement was wrong.
You think if it’s not coming from you it’s wrong. I just shared the a post from BRS about what makes Kalk and co2 media. Both CaOH2.
No matter what R2R is your world your awesome online
BRS is wrong as well huh.
I’d like to see you email BRS about them wrongly mentioning chemical compounds in their products.
Please post that email since you have time

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think if it’s not coming from you it’s wrong. I just shared the a post from BRS about what makes Kalk and co2 media. Both CaOH2.
No matter what R2R is your world your awesome online
BRS is wrong as well huh.
I’d like to see you email BRS about them wrongly mentioning chemical compounds in their products.
Please post that email since you have time

Read the BRS sentence carefully and you will see you are wrong. It is NOT calcium hydroxide. Calcium hydroxide is a starting material, along with sodium hydroxide and water, to make the actual material: soda lime.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume peeps are trying to remove any fish poo smell, being on the outlet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, folks reading this thread should not come away thinking GAC will bind CO2 from home air and help raise reef tank pH by that mechanism. That’s just not going to happen with ordinary GAC at the CO2 levels in home air. Scientists trying to use GAC to bind CO2 from flue gases modify the GAC to make to look more like soda lime by adsorbing chemicals like calcium oxide onto it.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a screen shot from CoralVue website that says to replace the media once it turns pink. I also just found a YouTube video of someone with an unopened bag that was white.
I am going to go and see if I have an unopened bag. I really thought it started off white (although I have usually used BRS media)
ETA- I also know with some brands of media it will change from white to color when depleted, then will eventually go back to white, making it looked like it was unused when it is actually depleted. Not sure about ice cap though
IMG_0596.png
I got BRS brand and it was pink out the gate. My pH is fine so I'm not concerned. Maybe it was bad to begin with and that is why is has lasted 6 months. Lol

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, folks reading this thread should not come away thinking GAC will bind CO2 from home air and help raise reef tank pH by that mechanism. That’s just not going to happen with ordinary GAC at the CO2 levels in home air. Scientists trying to use GAC to bind CO2 from flue gases modify the GAC to make to look more like soda lime by adsorbing chemicals like calcium oxide onto it.
Thank you Randy. I was hoping that someone would comment on the OP. While Carbon will remove the weed smell out of your grow tent, it will not reduce its CO2.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to beat a dead horse, but I found a bag of ice cap media and mine was white and says to replace when the media turns pink. I now wonder if they changed it so that it turns white as it’s depleted.
IMG_0604.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color change in sodalime media is due to pH changes. As CO2 binds, the pH is lowered and at some point it passes the color change pH of the dye they use.

If someone is concerned the media might be depleted, you can always leave some out on a counter top for a few days and look for a change. I’ve not ever tried this so I am not sure how long it takes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back