Active fish for 40G breeder

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40G with some chromis. Loved how active they were until 1 got Uronema. What would be some good active fish to grab to replace them?

E.J.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 120, aside from my tomini tang, the most active fish are a trio of lemon damsels. The dominant female lays eggs every two weeks or so, and there's a lot of amusing posturing, shimmying, and harmless chasing. They ignore all other fish. Any of the smaller reef-safe wrasses would provide color and movement. A Midas blenny spends a lot of time swimming about and has a great personality.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 120, aside from my tomini tang, the most active fish are a trio of lemon damsels. The dominant female lays eggs every two weeks or so, and there's a lot of amusing posturing, shimmying, and harmless chasing. They ignore all other fish. Any of the smaller reef-safe wrasses would provide color and movement. A Midas blenny spends a lot of time swimming about and has a great personality.
Reef safe wrasses would be which ones? There’s so many of them. The lemon damsels you have, have they showed any signs of uronema? I hear they’re susceptible to it

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40G with some chromis. Loved how active they were until 1 got Uronema. What would be some good active fish to grab to replace them?
If you don't have anything else in your tank yet, I would get the remaining chromis out and start the tank over to get rid of the uronema before adding more fish.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations as far as fish?
  • Midas blenny
  • Starry/lawnmower blenny
  • Royal gramma
  • Cardinal (wouldn't call them active, but they are always hanging around and don't hide in my experience)
  • Longnose hawkfish
  • Goby/shrimp pair
  • Pink streaked wrasse
  • Sixline wrasse

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Midas blenny
  • Royal gramma
  • Cardinal (wouldn't call them active, but they are always hanging around and don't hide in my experience)
  • Longnose hawkfish
  • Goby/shrimp pair
  • Pink streaked wrasse
  • Sixline wrasse
Thanks

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Midas blenny
  • Royal gramma
  • Longnose hawkfish
  • Goby/shrimp pair
  • Pink streaked wrasse
  • Sixline wrasse
I hear the 6line aren’t community fish though

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Streak Wrasse is a great fish, peaceful and surprisingly active. Mine hid a lot when I first got it but now uses the whole tank, top to bottom.

Midas blennies are great but I don't find mine to be a big swimmer, rather it prefers to sit in it's little cave and watch for anything suspicious going on. Lots of personality when it does decide to make the rounds, though.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses for a 40B that are peaceful:

Possum Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Red Lined Wrasse
Red-Fin Fairy Wrasse
Lunate Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse
Blue Flasher Wrasse
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
Royal Flasher Wrasse

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Streak Wrasse is a great fish, peaceful and surprisingly active. Mine hid a lot when I first got it but now uses the whole tank, top to bottom.

Midas blennies are great but I don't find mine to be a big swimmer, rather it prefers to sit in it's little cave and watch for anything suspicious going on. Lots of personality when it does decide to make the rounds, though.
Interesting, mine was always very active and social. He did have a preferred perch, but frequently came out in the water column to say hi and antagonize larger fish. Swims like an eel!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, mine was always very active and social. He did have a preferred perch, but frequently came out in the water column to say hi and antagonize larger fish. Swims like an eel!

I'm envious because the blenny definitely has one of the most unique swimming styles and is one of my favorites to watch. Beautiful fish, too. Maybe given more time mine will venture out more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back