ad-ware from R2R?

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been noticing that r2r is slightly slower than normal. Occassionally there are pop-ups on this site which are all non-fish related. Also, some of the banners seem to change to non-fish related advertisers.

Is this just ad-ware from another site doing work on sites that I visit? Or are others having issues with this site in particular?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When logged in I have not noticed any non-reef related pop-ups or ads. If you browse the site while you are logged-out you will notice some Google Ads mixed in and those can take the form of any type of advertisement that closely relates to your browsing history (not an R2R thing). These google ads are common to most of the forums I visit where I do not log-in first.

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its all you Speg. i dont get a single popup - you probably got some adware or malware embedded in your machine. I would suggest switching over to Google Chrome as a browser. I have been using it for two years without issues and it uses less system resources than any other browser.

Strongly recommend you back up your important documents and do a fresh OS install on your machine. Doing it once a year is good "computer husbandry" :)

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's probably me then. I guess I only notice the issue when visiting this site. I hate computers :)

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reinstalling your OS is a lot of work. Run Malware bytes and Super antispyware they are the best and free. Should take care of any malware you have.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reinstalling your OS is a lot of work. Run Malware bytes and Super antispyware they are the best and free. Should take care of any malware you have.

Agree, both great programs. I've been in IT for 10+ years, and they do a fantastic job. Run those and clean up your system first before you attempt to format.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back