Add an air pump?

nawilson89

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
509
Reaction score
44
Location
Tampa, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a powerhead and I was wondering if it was beneficial or hazardous to add an air pump to my powerhead to add air to my aquarium.

Additional information:

The tank is full of macro algae and sea grass
20g tank
inverts
and 4 fish
 
Ditto^ you can also add a fan to blow across the water surface when the lights are on. it'll increase evaporation though
 
Thanks. I thought that having the extra air would prove beneficial to my macro algae and sea grass.
 
the air from a air pump doesn't add oxygen to the tank its when those bubble hit the surface and cause surface agitation. Oxygen exchange is at the water surface
 
I realized last night that I was running my powerhead without the airline tubing that allows it to pull a bit of air in while pushing out water. With that in mind I put in the tubing this morning and it breaks up the surface more for gas exchange.

I'll continue to monitor the tank today.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new