Added a Nero 3

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a Nero 3 to my Deep Blue 80 (already have 2 Nero 5s) to create a bit more random turbulence/flow for my gig and mag anemones, and, hopefully help nutrient export on the far side of the overflow.

For such a small pump (it's probably 40% total volume of a Nero 5) boy does this thing pack a punch. Running at random 75%, it shoots a focused cone of flow vs. the Nero 5's more dispersed flow. The anemones seem to love it though and the fish don't seem too mind!

Going to spend the next few days dialing this in. Just thought I'd share!

Nero - 1.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good feedback! Thanks for sharing! That is a neat little pump that fits a gap in the market - I'm looking forward to also hearing about how this does in small nano tanks.

Stomper83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Nero 3 to my Deep Blue 80 (already have 2 Nero 5s) to create a bit more random turbulence/flow for my gig and mag anemones, and, hopefully help nutrient export on the far side of the overflow.

For such a small pump (it's probably 40% total volume of a Nero 5) boy does this thing pack a punch. Running at random 75%, it shoots a focused cone of flow vs. the Nero 5's more dispersed flow. The anemones seem to love it though and the fish don't seem too mind!

Going to spend the next few days dialing this in. Just thought I'd share!

Nero - 1.jpeg
Settings?

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep it pretty simple, random @ 40% - 65% for most the day and pulse @75% (2.5s on and 2.5s off) during the height of the light cycle. I've also moved the pump to the back wall to help nutrient export.

Nero3 - 1.jpeg

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the look of these! Would even turned wayyy down this be way too much for a 25G peninsula?

When I had it where it was in the photo, I noticed that at 65% pushing against the Nero 5 on the opposite side of the tank (running at 50%), the 3 could reach about 1/3rd across the tank (~18") to create a nice turbulence area, no doubt it can reach further. It's highly tunable though.

These pumps were designed specifically for nano applications, so I think a 25G would be in its sweet spot. Both pulse and random modes give you a good deal of control so you can personalize to your tank's needs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back