ADDED FISH/CORAL 550g+ Franken-tank System | Coral Propagation

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. this is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, its been a bit of time but here is an update! We are at about the 2 month window. Only off by a couple of weeks, which isn't too bad since I've been so busy.

But I digress.

Here are some images of what is happening. As you can see, all of the returns are now plumbed into a sump. You can see that the 100G drum, is simply treated as a tank too.

The only part left, besides finishing the lights and adding flow, etc. are the returns. The return plumbing is just a few days away, then we have a 24 water tight test, and then we add the salt. If all goes well, there will be salt water in this bad boy by this weekend. And I'll be using either Fritz or KZ to jump start the cycle, so I'll have fish in about 3 weeks.

Here is my stock list so far:

Bin:
1 Naso Tang
5 Lyretail Anthias
1 Blotched Anthias
3 Pajama Cardinal
5 Purple Tang
10 Clowns
1-2 Helfrichi
2 Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish

For the frag tanks each:
3 Purple
5 Clowns

I know that the purples are aggressive, however, I plan on feeding super often and using a lot of racks/rocks to create safe havens for them.

As you can see, I am also going with easy fish. I mostly am into corals, hence, only need fish for poop and a small amount of algae control.

Full shot:

Overflow Plumbing:

Mixing Station:

Overflow Return From Tank:

Start of the Return:

All the Wires Will Be Tidied Up In Ceiling:

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that is exceptionally nice! One critical piece of equipment I still see missing... that beer fridge... Personally, that would be one of the first pieces installed as it seems integral to the majority of the build...

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that is exceptionally nice! One critical piece of equipment I still see missing... that beer fridge... Personally, that would be one of the first pieces installed as it seems integral to the majority of the build...

Oh, its coming. It'll be the cherry on top. I may go old school and have an ice maker and a bottle of scotch. I'll use RODI to add a splash of water to my drink.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I'm in the process of something similar in my unfinished basement with multiple tanks sharing one sump. A few questions:

Heaters: Are you doing heaters in just the sump, just displays, or both?
Humidity: Any plans for a dehumidifier? I'm doing a 70 pint dehumidifier in my fish room plumbed into my drain. Is this a concern of yours?
Workspace: I saw you have a sink, will there be a counter for fragging/cleaning equipment?
Controller: Any plans for a central aquarium controller?
Dosing: What are your plans for element replenishment? Something I really like about these systems is the high water volume to element demand ratio (assuming you don't fill the look down with corals) :)

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I'm in the process of something similar in my unfinished basement with multiple tanks sharing one sump. A few questions:

Heaters: Are you doing heaters in just the sump, just displays, or both?
Humidity: Any plans for a dehumidifier? I'm doing a 70 pint dehumidifier in my fish room plumbed into my drain. Is this a concern of yours?
Workspace: I saw you have a sink, will there be a counter for fragging/cleaning equipment?
Controller: Any plans for a central aquarium controller?
Dosing: What are your plans for element replenishment? Something I really like about these systems is the high water volume to element demand ratio (assuming you don't fill the look down with corals) :)

Awesome, please do share your build once you get it going. I find it fascinating.

Heaters: I am going to be running 2 800W heaters hooked into the Apex. They will both sit in the sump. However, I plan on having a 300W inexpensive heater/no Apex, in the 100G tank. This way, there is warmer water, at a distance away from the sump/frag tanks. I will just keep it cranked to around 76 and let it do its thing. I won't be afraid if it fails since its small in comparison to the amount of water.

Humidity: No plans yet, however, I may or may not need to add something. I've had my systems full of water for a couple of weeks (just sitting in the tanks) and have noticed some decent evaporation. However, I have not noticed my humidity going up. I have a Nest upstairs and the humidity has not made it up there at all. If anything, I can crack a window or add a small fart fan vent. I am not concerned as of yet, however, if I add a few hundred more gallons, I will be. I won't take action until I see the humidity creeping up.

Workspace: You are right, I have a tiny sink. Its just big enough to wash parts of my skimmer in it. Totally meets my needs. I plan on using an inexpensive plastic cart, that will hold my Gryphon. I will just wheel it around to where I need it.

Controller: Yes- I have an Apex I will be using. It has two powerbars so one will be up by the lights, and the other lower. The lower one will run the return, flow, heaters, skimmer, etc.

Dosing: I'm old school and lazy. I will just hook two of my BRS dosing pumps to the Apex and adjust it as needed. I've used ESV in the past, and have been happy. It is costly, however, I buy the 5G buckets and they last me a really long time. I have run around 800G before in about 6 tanks and all the demand was easy to keep up with. The lookdown will be full of corals. I think I am going to fill it with tons and tons of torches. I want it to look like a giant forrest.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like we have a bit in common between our systems as far as heating, controller, and dosing. The 100G tank you're referring to, is that the water storage tank or is there another display I'm missing? Is it coral propagation in the frag tanks and then a fun marine pond in the 220? Any other plans or dreams for the room? Do you have plans for finishing the basement around the fish room?

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like we have a bit in common between our systems as far as heating, controller, and dosing. The 100G tank you're referring to, is that the water storage tank or is there another display I'm missing? Is it coral propagation in the frag tanks and then a fun marine pond in the 220? Any other plans or dreams for the room? Do you have plans for finishing the basement around the fish room?

I am excited to see how ours do.

Yes, the 100G tank is the water storage. It can be taken offline to be used as a mixing station only, and then water can be moved from it, or simply incorporated into the main tanks.

I'm not super sure what I am doing with the tanks. I am a big fan of just collecting corals I like, and kind of an odd collector. I sometimes will buy a lot of one coral, and just fill the whole tank up until I get bored. I may buy tons of acan colonies for one of the frag tanks, grow them out, and then trade them/sell them for something else. I like stuff to be uniform. Its hard to tell based on all the crap in the images, but once its done, it'll be super clean and organized.

I am debating of adding a 240G frag tank in another part of the room. This would be its own system, but that would be way way down the road. I kind of want to just get my systems running great and growing coral before I dare take anything else on.

The basement is going to stay unfinished. Its just my wife and I (and pets) that live in the home. If we have kids one day, we have enough room upstairs. The houses in Utah are typically very large due to the average family having a large amount of kids. The basement has been empty for 4+ years and we don't need the space. I figured I'd add my tanks to them. If we sell the house or move, I will simply sell everything off and start over. They are in the last space I move them.

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small new update, all lights are plugged into the Apex and fully controllable.

As you can see, I still have to tidy up the wires, however, they are where I want them. The plug will be moved where the extension cord is at, so please ignore that.

I'm having an issue with calibrating my salinity to the Apex, and have read that a lot of others had the same issues too. I am hoping that I can get it resolved soon.

Below, I have power strip that runs the sump components and return pump. I should only have a single wire coming down from the ceiling into the sump area, the Aquabus. If I want to get crazy, I may get a 30' and have it come down the wall, across the floor, and then tie into the hub next to the sump.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small new update, all lights are plugged into the Apex and fully controllable.

As you can see, I still have to tidy up the wires, however, they are where I want them. The plug will be moved where the extension cord is at, so please ignore that.

I'm having an issue with calibrating my salinity to the Apex, and have read that a lot of others had the same issues too. I am hoping that I can get it resolved soon.

Below, I have power strip that runs the sump components and return pump. I should only have a single wire coming down from the ceiling into the sump area, the Aquabus. If I want to get crazy, I may get a 30' and have it come down the wall, across the floor, and then tie into the hub next to the sump.

Coming along nicely! STILL waiting for the refreshment center.

OP
OP
K

kilgoretrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, small update, I have added fish and coral! My fish stocking has changed slightly, however, will still be adding a ton of awesome stuff.

Bin Fish:
3 Pajama Cardinals
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Jaw Trigger

Frag Tang #1:
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Scopas Tang
Six Line Wrasse

Frag Tank #2:
Empty for now

Cleaning crew to all tanks.

Those are the fish I have added the first round (they came in today and are acclimating, images to come). I still plan on adding a ton of tangs to the bin and also some heniochus, anthias, and more.

I just wanted to start slow with the bioload.

Also, added around 20 hammer/frogspawn colonies, 10 trachias, and more.

Images to come.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back