Adding a booster pump to my ro/do setup?

Dwaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a AquaFx ro/di that I use to make water for my biocube. It works just fine running at 20 psi as I normally only make 5 gallons of water at a time and about 10 gallons when you combine my weekly water change and top off. My filters last a long time and I do monitor my tds meter and change my ro and di cartridges when my numbers begin to climb. I also change my prefilter and carbon once the pre shows discoloration. My question is I know I should have 60 to 80 psi for best efficiency; but is it worth spending the money to add the booster pump when my usage is so low? I want to upgrade to an IM 40 (the biggest I want to go while still living in an apartment.) I think I should put the money into a new tank.

What should I prioritize right now?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be calling your water company & your apartment company....can you even take a shower at 20psi?

How are you hooking this RODI up?

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro does not work effectively at a low pressure. It should run at 50 psi to be effective. You will be using alot more di resin because of this. I use a booster pump to put me at 80 psi. I would seriously invest in a pump. At a low pressure, you will be making more waste water than if you were at 50 psi.

OP
OP
Dwaters

Dwaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be calling your water company & your apartment company....can you even take a shower at 20psi?

How are you hooking this RODI up?
Right next to washing machine. Plenty of pressure for all faucets.

OP
OP
Dwaters

Dwaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro does not work effectively at a low pressure. It should run at 50 psi to be effective. You will be using alot more di resin because of this. I use a booster pump to put me at 80 psi. I would seriously invest in a pump. At a low pressure, you will be making more waste water than if you were at 50 psi.

Well I don’t pay for water so waste is not a factor. However I looked tonight to get my top off water and noticed the liquid filled pressure gauge has a bubble in it. Could that be causing bad reading? It does drop to 0 when I flush the membrane.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to post pics on how you have this thing hooked up from a few different angles

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t pay for water so waste is not a factor. However I looked tonight to get my top off water and noticed the liquid filled pressure gauge has a bubble in it. Could that be causing bad reading? It does drop to 0 when I flush the membrane.

Where is this pressure gauge taking its reading from? It sounds like it is on the product.

OP
OP
Dwaters

Dwaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few photos. Of course today it reads 35 psi but still very low.

1. Water source connection
2. Entire unit
3. Pressure Guage while running

D080290E-F712-457E-916C-3ED2533CAF00.jpeg

18AC41D7-3B59-4A00-9203-64C3BF8F0EE2.jpeg

477184D4-1450-4B52-A1AC-B22A2695EF82.jpeg

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 35psi among apartments is about as good as it gets....

My house is 50psi with a 1in water-main line coming in off the street DEDICATED to my house

With your apartment.....most of your apartment neighbors are splitting up sharing a 1in main coming in and Ying off to God knows how many apartments

AND! if your apartment is the furtherest down-the-line from the water-main....you're stuck with what you got if an apartment before you is using water

BOTTOMLINE: make RODI late at night when neighbors aren't taking SHOWERS, doing LAUNDRY, running DISHWASHER.

I would say make water from 10pm to 6am. All other times expect random drops in water pressure from showers, laundry, dishwashers from neighbors

That or knock on all your neighbors doors and say "dont use ANY water for the next 8hrs!"... lmxo

HTH

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back