Adding a Green Clown Goby to Nano

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano with only 2 small clowns right now and the tank has SPS corals as well as a one Fungia LPS coral...I was thinking about adding a green Clown Goby but have heard they can pick tissue off some SPS corals...is this a valid concern? Also how do they act in smaller tanks? Do they hide a lot or are they usually visible, will they take most foods offered, etc.
Thanks for the help! Screenshot_2022-07-08-19-24-04-337_com.facebook.katana.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a nano with only 2 small clowns right now and the tank has SPS corals as well as a one Fungia LPS coral...I was thinking about adding a green Clown Goby but have heard they can pick tissue off some SPS corals...is this a valid concern? Also how do they act in smaller tanks? Do they hide a lot or are they usually visible, will they take most foods offered, etc.
Thanks for the help! Screenshot_2022-07-08-19-24-04-337_com.facebook.katana.jpg
While you can, some will scrape their teeth on the acro for the slime

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow clown goby that decided a millepora frag was its favorite snack, and it managed to get about half the frag in the day. Managed to catch it by putting the frag in a net and waiting...

So yes, if they decide they want to eat that SPS, they will, even when well fed. Also worth asking tank size, as depending on the size of a nano, more fish may not be ideal. Clown gobies don't need a ton of space, but they will swim around more than a lot of perching gobies, especially when you're feeding or its night time.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't eat sps. They lay eggs on sps. So they will clear sections off for egg laying. They also will cause the coral to slime and eat the slime. If you don't have a lot of sps than this could be a concern or feed more frequent so thr goby isn't hungry

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I only have 1 acro ATM but other SPS...how much do they tend to irritate them when they do that?
It’s sporadic and each individual fish will behave differently

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Greissenger goby that a shop just got in and think I might go with it instead since they're perfect nano size and seem to be a rather rare find...any idea what they usually cost?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back