OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a probe incoming, and a probe after 3rd membrane. You only need one booster pump. Trick is restricting waste water out of last membrane to tune product.

I just got home and was able to test my supply water, and it is120ppm, which I assume is easily good enough for an extra membrane, but with a feed pressure of 100psi would it be enough in your opinion for a third membrane?
Also do you have an adjustable restrictor, if not how do you fine tune the restriction.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and was able to test my supply water, and it is120ppm, which I assume is easily good enough for an extra membrane, but with a feed pressure of 100psi would it be enough in your opinion for a third membrane?
Also do you have an adjustable restrictor, if not how do you fine tune the restriction.
It's not the pressure. You have enough. Hook up that second membrane and see what Tds is coming out the 2nd membrane. That should determine if you can get away with 3

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the pressure. You have enough. Hook up that second membrane and see what Tds is coming out the 2nd membrane. That should determine if you can get away with 3
Ok I'll wait until I add a second membrane and then re-evaluate whether I can use or even want a third one.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll wait until I add a second membrane and then re-evaluate whether I can use or even want a third one.
Id hate to advise a green light on 3, and have you only able to use 2. Only you can make that choice. How fast you use DI, is the determining factor. Having an output of 5 or 6 is one thing, having 10 or higher and your not going to be cost effective

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id hate to advise a green light on 3, and have you only able to use 2. Only you can make that choice. How fast you use DI, is the determining factor. Having an output of 5 or 6 is one thing, having 10 or higher and your not going to be cost effective
I understand it's hard to know if a third membrane would work for someone elses system that you don't anything about, except a brief description of. Ultimately if I decide to try it and it doesn't work out the cost of all of the parts is fairly insignificant. I appreciate the opinion from you and everyone else and understand ultimately it's on me to decide if I think it'll work. If not for you mentioning it I wouldn't have even realized that adding a third membrane is a possible option

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet again I reach out for you guys' collective knowledge. The second membrane kit from brs has a check valve build into the connector on the permeate side of the second membrane. I was going through the old parts that I have and mine does not have a check valve. Why is there a check valve there and is it needed? I actually do have a valve that would work, but it's metal and I'm not willing to use it.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you want the check valve. You dont want back pressure when shutting off booster pump, Its a one way flow deal

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to update I just installed my second membrane, I went with the water saver system from BRS. My pre di tds is still 1ppm, so it didn't go up even enough to go to 2ppm. The output volume is great (I suppose in theory double). I should've done this years ago.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back